What's new
What's new

Wanted 40mm radius gage

CBlair

Diamond
I have a job to put a 40mm radius on the end of some parts, actually it is a rework. I need to have some way to measure this radius. What I really want is what I call a standard radius gage made of sheet metal. Some of the Chinese ones I have seen are terrible, literally just stamped with the burr included.

Mitutoyo used to make some real nice radius gages but I dont want to buy a whole set and they no longer seem to offer them.

Does anyone have a nice one I can buy? Any brand is ok, just need to tell the customer I have a gage to check it with. No need for anything fancier.

Yes I can make one, but I have no way to verify it, so buying a commercially made one is much easier.

Charles

Profiling and single-pointing a hole in a piece of sheet metal, measuring with a traceable inside mic or similar, and then cutting up the sheet metal to give you the gauge not good enough?

Probably just would rather buy one for a few bucks. I know the feeling, having just spent some time on the lathe a couple days ago making a couple 3/32" compression sleeves for my grinder lube lines. Would have rather purchased but didn't want to wait.

rklopp, Yes not good enough, I also need to measure inside radius at the same time and I would like to buy a commercial gage. As a one man shop I am too busy to be making a gage I should be able to buy cheaply. Of course if one isnt available then making one is certainly possible. But it doesnt make me money to do that when I have money making work on the table.

Charles

I have a job to put a 40mm radius on the end of some parts, actually it is a rework. I need to have some way to measure this radius. What I really want is what I call a standard radius gage made of sheet metal. Some of the Chinese ones I have seen are terrible, literally just stamped with the burr included.

Mitutoyo used to make some real nice radius gages but I dont want to buy a whole set and they no longer seem to offer them.

Does anyone have a nice one I can buy? Any brand is ok, just need to tell the customer I have a gage to check it with. No need for anything fancier.

Yes I can make one, but I have no way to verify it, so buying a commercially made one is much easier.

Charles

With that statement, I am ass-u-ming there isn't a real tolerance? If not, if you have a-cad, or any cad that can print to scale, you could print (on paper, not 3d) it and trace onto card stock or something a bit more durable and have at it?

40MM radius gauge over 1 1/2 inch is hard to find/buy.

Qt: [Yes I can make one, but I have no way to verify it,] Measure a half-circle bore or OD with a caliper should get to .001.

likely a PM guy would make gauges for you.

Maybe a wrong direction, but do ya have a CNC mill with a touch probe?

Seems to me that one of them amounts to pretty near the same usefulness as a CMM, for checking stuff like that, no?

Tolerances?

Me, not having such, it'd be a few minutes of lathe work.

Certainly you have a way to verify it, you bang out a full round 40mm out of whatever is handy, to use as the 'master'. Possibly even sections of it with your plus or minus tolerance on it to compare too. Dead easy to measure THAT accurately, and you can then hold any segment of a turned and bored disk up to it to compare to see how much light passes.

McMaster sells washers with ID just a few thousandths less than 40 mm. Piece of cake to chuck in the lathe, bore to 40 mm and verify with a known good measuring tool, and then cut out however much arc you need for a gauge. Seems like 5 minutes is too long. When you say you can't verify, how would you verify if, say, Starrett sold you one? It's not like radius gauges come with calibration certificates.

As I stated making one is possible, anyone can do it. But I have one mill and one lathe and both are busy on other money making work. I am not going to interrupt processes that have deadlines to make a gage that I dont need right now. (but I may need in a few weeks)

I didnt ask how to make one, I asked if anyone had one to sell.

Charles

I saw you don't want to buy a set, but this seems easonable for such large radii...

https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Gauge-1-50mm-Concave-Measure/dp/B07BN7MMFX

As far as the chinese made ones, if that is available, couldn't you just clean up the burrs? And also, doesn't seem like much work to bore a hole in a piece of stock and precision mill to get an 'exact' centerline, unless you don't have the tools/tooling to do so....

Thank you but I have seen those before, very badly made and I am sure a better one would be available someplace. I really would like one that is made by a reputable company. Kind of hoping someone had one laying around they didnt need anymore.

Charles

As I stated making one is possible, anyone can do it. But I have one mill and one lathe and both are busy on other money making work. I am not going to interrupt processes that have deadlines to make a gage that I dont need right now. (but I may need in a few weeks)

I didnt ask how to make one, I asked if anyone had one to sell.

Charles

OK, you want to buy one. What are you willing to pay? My guess would be something in the $3.00 - $4.00 range?

Back