What's new
What's new

WANTED: Boring Head, Dorian Quadra/CXA stuff, DRO, Shipping Container, ...

rpseguin

Stainless
I'm looking for a number of things, some larger than others :-)

I'd like to find a 20 foot steel shipping container somewhere near Napa, California to put in my back yard. I know, not exactly tooling or parts, but now it's in your head and you won't stop thinking of it until you find one for me :-)

Ok, actual machining things I'm looking for:

-boring head, preferably 3/4" straight shank, but could consider R8, should hold boring bars with 3/8" or larger shanks

-3 axis DRO

-lathe holders for a Dorian Quadra CXA sized toolpost.

-Kurt 3600V versatile lock vises or something similar.
DoubleLock could work.

I have for sale a Bridgeport No.2 Boring Head. Used but very usable and ready to do some boring work. It does have a R8 shank, takes 5/8" bars and has two carbide tipped with the deal. 100.00+ shipping
spaeth
DSCN2761.jpgDSCN2762.jpgDSCN2764.jpgDSCN2765.jpg

I didn't even know Bridgeport made boring heads. I had a friend that used to live in Napa. I could not imagine zoning would allow a shipping container in a backyard unless you lived in those back hills where it looked like anything goes. My friend lived in a row of cabins that had an electrical service entrance mounted to a tree.

I didn't even know Bridgeport made boring heads. I had a friend that used to live in Napa. I could not imagine zoning would allow a shipping container in a backyard unless you lived in those back hills where it looked like anything goes. My friend lived in a row of cabins that had an electrical service entrance mounted to a tree.

I'm in the city of Napa, so probably even more scrutiny as you say.
Although, I would think that a 20 foot container should be ok, since it could be considered to be a temporary/mobile structure, just like any other shed.

I've been thinking about building a wood shed, but I thought that a container is already done and they are quite sturdy.
I know some people that got theirs for free.
I'm hoping to find an inexpensive one.

FYI Bridgeport made 2 sizes of boring head #1 and the #2 . The #1 uses 3/8 shank bars. I prefer my BP 2 to the Criterion I also have ,why 3 boring heads ?? Got Me !!! LOL

I'm in the city of Napa, so probably even more scrutiny as you say.
Although, I would think that a 20 foot container should be ok, since it could be considered to be a temporary/mobile structure, just like any other shed.

I've been thinking about building a wood shed, but I thought that a container is already done and they are quite sturdy.
I know some people that got theirs for free.
I'm hoping to find an inexpensive one.

As long as you don't have PITA neighbors I would not worry about the container. I used to live In California and some locales have regulations that are mind boggling. In the back hills outside city limits where my friend lived there are probably people living in shipping containers. Not sure about NoCal but in SoCal code enforcement people only respond to complaints, they aren't driving around looking for violations.

One thing for sure, Craigslist searches for shipping containers is completely dominated/saturated by dealer ads. There seems to be almost no ads by owners/non-dealers.

Someone told me that he knew some people who got 10 foot containers dirt cheap or free. That seems odd to me since I thought that they had to cut and fab in order to make a 10 foot.

Another person suggested that I get a 1 trip container, but I suspect those are a lot more money.

I am going to try calling the ports of Oakland and San Fracisco, but I suspect they will just tell me to call a dealer.

If you can get an insulated container I would do that. The benefit besides the insulation is the sides are smooth so they do not look as much like a container as the corrugated ones. Paint it the same color as the house, even build a pitch roof for it to really blend in. The other thing I like is the end where the refrigeration unit was is completely open, this lets you build a "normal" stud wall and put in a standard door and even a window if you like.
Depends on what your need is.

Back