What's new
What's new

Wanted: Bridgeport M Head Motor...

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
Just curious, I am looking for a Bridgeport M Head 3 phase motor. Does anyone have an extra laying around or have a lead on one? Thank you in advance.

Mike

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Would be interested in a whole M Head as well. I have checked the bay and there is one for sale near me, but it's a little high in price for what it's worth.

You could make an adapter plate and mount a face-mount motor to it.

Here's one such plate:
dcdrv28.jpg

Building a DC Drive for the Bridgeport Spindle

Steve

Hmm. Ever make it to Danbury, or Ridgefield?

The one that I would sell you had new abec-7 spindle bearings that I put in, three phase motor with attached
drum switch, comes with a custom designed wood frame to hold it, when not in use, and an adapter plate welded
to a two inch diameter support rod, used this with my hardinge horizontal.

Only known issue is the splines are a bit worn so it rattles some. MT-2 spindle, some collets come along with the
deal.

Price - $250, cash deal, no shipping however.

Jim, I'm interested. I do and can make it to Danbury or Ridgefield sometimes. Is it capable of 220V 3 PH?

Steve, I have looked and saw the DC drive conversions, but I'm trying to use my mills main drive power through a splitter box to drive the head. Thank you.

My motor is grounded phase to case and I can't find the ground. I am also pretty sure it's a 440V and I have no way of wiring it for 220V without a full rewind. That's why I'm after a replacement.
f485bd7445a7e5abe24cf491ef0c3e61.jpg

Jim, I'm interested. I do and can make it to Danbury or Ridgefield sometimes. Is it capable of 220V 3 PH?

Not sure if it is dual voltage, but I always have run it on 220 three phase, via my rotary converter. It has an SJ cordset and twistlock
plug on it.
I tried PM'ing you. Do you want my cell number to text and possibly set up an exchange?

Give me a shout at work on monday -

jrr0 at us dot ibm dot com

(that's a zero in the address, not an oh)

and we will se that up.

Jim

Michael, is that M head mounted on a 12?

I'm pondering doing something similar on my 26, only using a J-head clone I just bought. I'm in 2 minds, though, as I can't see a good way of quickly switching back to horizontal mode with the arbor supports....

Lee

Michael, is that M head mounted on a 12?

I'm pondering doing something similar on my 26, only using a J-head clone I just bought. I'm in 2 minds, though, as I can't see a good way of quickly switching back to horizontal mode with the arbor supports....

Lee

Lee, sir, I currently have my adapter on a 22L. My adapter and head is specifically designed to come off rather quickly with the milling vice used to hold it to take it on and off. The M Head is rather light and easy to move about. I did see an adapter one guy made that used am old slide and allowed the head to come up out of the way of the support and then he could just slide the support out, leaving the head higher than the support. It was also an M Head though, so much lighter than most J Heads or clones. There are parking cranes that could be used. People use them for rotary tables and vices all the time and I'm sure you could adapt one for a milling head.

Back