What's new
What's new

Wanted: Chunk of magnetic stainless steel tubing

macona

Diamond
I am trying to build an ion gun for a vacuum system and I need a piece of a magnetic grade of stainless tubing, something like 430. OD around 5 to 5.5" and about 8" long. Wall thickness is not a big deal but something around the 1/8" area would be nice.

It needs to be magnetic as it acts as a pole piece in forming the ion gun. Needs to be stainless since the guns often use oxygen as their active gas.

I am trying to build an ion gun for a vacuum system and I need a piece of a magnetic grade of stainless tubing, something like 430. OD around 5 to 5.5" and about 8" long. Wall thickness is not a big deal but something around the 1/8" area would be nice.

It needs to be magnetic as it acts as a pole piece in forming the ion gun. Needs to be stainless since the guns often use oxygen as their active gas.

I'm confused. Are you try to permanently magnetize this tube? Also 430 is not rust free. So, if both corrosion resistance and a magnetic field are requirements, I would be thinking about a 316T tube with an external coil wound on the tube would be appropriate.

It is for a ion gun used in a vacuum chamber. It is exposed to various plasmas, sometimes oxygen plasma. It must be magnetically permeable to confine the plasma, a permanent magnet in the gun is the source of the magnetism. 430 Stainless is one of the more permeable grades.

Back