What's new
What's new

Wanted - Collet Nut and/or Collets for Boyar Schultz Profile Grinder

joelbob

Plastic
I am seeking to obtain a collet-nut and collets for a Boyar Schultz #2 Profile Grinder.

The collets appear to be similar in size and design to Universal double-taper Z.

A photo I recently came across showed the Boyar collets as Sutton #1442.

Thanks,
Joel

I have bought Universal double taper collets from Tools-n-gizmos.com and was happy with the results. They have a great selection. They have new collets, but they also have less expensive used ones in some sizes. Of course, you need to be sure what type collet you need. Z collets go up to 3/4 inch.

DT collet dimensions
Double Taper Collet

Z collet prices
- page 1

They have new Universal nuts.
http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/store...ttle=Double-Taper_Lock_Nuts_for_sale&ppinc=MT

Note that the above old guy wants to sell out his business, so don't wait too long if he has what you want.

I have also found a few used DT collets and nuts on eBay. My things use the OW size (1/4" capacity).

Larry

I am seeking to obtain a collet-nut and collets for a Boyar Schultz #2 Profile Grinder.

The collets appear to be similar in size and design to Universal double-taper Z.

A photo I recently came across showed the Boyar collets as Sutton #1442.

Thanks,
Joel

Good luck. I have the same profile grinder and yes they use a Sutton #1442. Mine came with a 1/2” collet and I eventually found a 1/8” collet on ebay. I bought a 1/4 to 1/2 router collet sleeve to adapt the 1/2 to 1/4 so now I can hold 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 bits which has been enough for everything I’ve wanted to do. It’s a cool machine. I don’t always want it to oscillate if you figure out how to turn that off let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. Fortunately, I have a set of Universal Z-series collets, which allowed me to test fitment in the Boyar spindles. - I should have mentioned this when I noted that the Boyar collets are similar. A mark up shows perfect contact, so the taper is identical, at 20deg. The catch is that the Z-series is slightly too large which causes it to extend roughly .150" further than it should. (major diameter of the collet sits about .300" from the face of the spindle socket.) Markup shows about 1" of contact with the socket, which may be sufficient, since grinding operations involve by-hand work-holding with minimal loading.

Based on my findings, the Sutton #1442 must have been something of a half-size between the Universal Y-series and Z-series. I have found no cross-sectional photos of them, to ascertain whether they are proportionally similar, length-wise..

@adh2000: Any idea the length of surface contact between the correct collet and it's socket? Also, approximately how far doe the major diameter of the collet sit away from the face of the spindle socket, once seated. (thanks)

~Joel

The collet measures 1” from the bottom to the widest point and then another 7/16” to the top. Total height is 1.428”. Upper portion must be 0.428, just under 7/16. To see how it fits in the spindle I’ll have to unpile all the crap that’s sitting on the grinder. Give me a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back