What's new
What's new

WANTED: D1-6 dog plate and Jarno dead center

paroikoi

Aluminum
I'm looking for a relatively cheap D1-6 dog plate as well as a Jarno #12 or #13 dead center, both for my Monarch 12CK. Anyone have either that might need some TLC but you'd part with cheap?

Thanks,
Josh

You know you can turn a stub of any old scrap in your chuck to a point and then drive the dog off one of your chuck jaws right? Nothing will be more accurate than that fresh cut point. Recut it each time you use it so plan on a longer stub of metal to make it from. Doesn't even need to be hard since it spins with the part.
That way is just about free :cheers:

I have several dog drive plates to choose from, will have to dig them out and post some pics. I’ll probably get to it this weekend.

You know you can turn a stub of any old scrap in your chuck to a point and then drive the dog off one of your chuck jaws right? Nothing will be more accurate than that fresh cut point. Recut it each time you use it so plan on a longer stub of metal to make it from. Doesn't even need to be hard since it spins with the part.
That way is just about free :cheers:

No, I didn't know that. That's an awesome idea! I'm obviously not a very experienced machinist. Thanks a lot for sharing! :cheers:

I have several dog drive plates to choose from, will have to dig them out and post some pics. I’ll probably get to it this weekend.

Thanks! I'd still be very interested in what you have.

When your lathe was new the spindle ID taper was perfect. Not so much now. You'll likely find a hard spindle center will run out a little bit which defeats the purpose.

I frequently turn between centers and have a few sizes of bars with pointy ends laying on my lathes.

When your lathe was new the spindle ID taper was perfect. Not so much now. You'll likely find a hard spindle center will run out a little bit which defeats the purpose.

I frequently turn between centers and have a few sizes of bars with pointy ends laying on my lathes.

That's a great point. With that in mind, is there any point at all in getting a dog plate? I already have a 14" face plate. A dog plate adds nothing if I'm not using (or can't use for the reason you gave) the spindle ID taper, right?

Yea, just drive off one of your jaws. Won’t have to remove chuck either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great point. With that in mind, is there any point at all in getting a dog plate? I already have a 14" face plate. A dog plate adds nothing if I'm not using (or can't use for the reason you gave) the spindle ID taper, right?

If you come accross a dog driver for cheap I would get it, as soon as you pass it up the next thing you need to turn between centers will be 3" to long to use the chuck jaws. Dog driver will give you a few more inches in length. But then you need a soft dead center that you can touch up to get it perfectly centered.

Grab one - or more - if you find it cheap, used-but-good. As they sometimes are.. because most of us do NOT use them!

OTOH, I still have - or HAVE had - easily six or seven in D1-3 that had some other plate, fixture, post, mandrel, threaded post - wotever - mounted to a dog-driver to re-purpose it as a cheap and available backplate or holder for some bespoke tooling or tasking.

Mind, D1-(n) IS cheaper as well as smaller in -3 and -4 than in -6. No need to overdo it.

As to a jarno DC? Yes, you should have at least ONE "real one" and of good grade, if only as a lower-cost than "test bar" means of confirming that you have succeeded in cleaning-up dings and burrs in your spindle's taper-bore.

Which is a sore tedious, but worthwhile exercise, given it is a handy reference surface, and one of the "proper" ones, whether you actually work off it much .. or never.

Vetting with a DC is not as handy as with a test bar to run a DI off of, and lacks the "multiplier" effect of vetting further out on the bar. But it's cheaper, and yah don't really NEED the test bar as much - if even at all.

Here are the pics.
The two pin are 8.25” in diameter and the four pin are 8”.
Pins are 7/8”and 5.25” center to center from each other.
FF90988A-A4C7-488A-9251-8CDD4250B3D9.jpg57134FEA-5490-48BA-B192-24730FE3CF42.jpg
$75 plus shipping

Back