What's new
What's new

Wanted: fences for DoAll band saw

ptross

Aluminum
I am looking for the rip fence and miter fence for a 16" SFP bandsaw but believe they are the same for any vertical DoAll saw with a 24" x 24" table such as ML or 1612. etc. These slide on rails alongside the table, do not run in slots.
I'm in NC but shipping shouldn't be a problem.
Anyone have these hanging on your saw but not used them in years?

Peter

Peter,

These show up on eBay from time to time, but be prepared, they usually don't sell cheap.
I have a couple of both, but they are staying with my machines.

Last time I talked to Doall you could still buy these new, but again very pricy.

Have you thought of some of the aftermarket vendors?
Some of the fence systems are quite nice.

Good luck on your search.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.
Yes, I've seen them once or twice on ebay but haven't seen anything for a long while. I missed a good set about a year ago. At the time they cost about 2/3 what I paid for the whole saw, but lately I realize I could put them to good use and it might be worth it. I really like the doall design of their fences. If I can't find any I may make my own.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Peter

I am interested in these as well, if we can find a donor I would be happy to coordinate casting new ones, they are pretty simple castings.

I have the simple miter fence on my ML. It has been broken and repaired several times, but it works well and could still be a potential donor.
The rip fence is something I am very interested in and have started collecting material to make from bar stock.
If a donor is available and me wants (that sounds funny!) to coordinate castings for that I would be in for a set.

Josh

The fence would be easy to make, the miter gauge a little more difficult.
I would think you could incorporate some after market miter gauge parts and a have a better setup than the factory one, IMHO.
mitergauge_1000hd_main_zoom.jpg

Kevin

Kevin,
you're right- I can make a good fence. maybe even better than original. However, I'd still like to find DoAll fences if possible. In the end, making a fence similar to Doall's might be our best option. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Peter

Kevin,
you're right- I can make a good fence. maybe even better than original. However, I'd still like to find DoAll fences if possible. In the end, making a fence similar to Doall's might be our best option. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Peter

Can you just get a nice miter fence? I have a Craftsman (Atlas?) miter fence for an old Craftsman table saw. It's very heavy duty and more than enough for a bandsaw. If you can find one cheap it'd be better than making one.

You can't use a standard miter fence since (as the op says) there are no slots in the table. Here is the miter fence on mine showing the rail along the side. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412551788.674690.jpg

jkopel,
what model saw is this fence on? can you post more detailed shots or send me some emails?
A lot of the other doall fences have a tall cast iron knob to lock the miter angle and a degree scale, but I don't see either on yours. Any idea if yours is earlier or perhaps went with certain models?
Peter

It is actually all original, circa 1941-42 when my saw was made.
Here is a page out of the accessory book showing this version and a couple more shots of the thing.
I would rather have the newer version with the protractor!

Josh

Attachments

• IMG_5889.jpg
    IMG_5889.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,708
  • PV__ML _3801-5418353.pdf.jpg
    PV__ML _3801-5418353.pdf.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_5890.jpg
    IMG_5890.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,945
  • IMG_5887.jpg
    IMG_5887.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_5888.jpg
    IMG_5888.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,211
I also have a Doall bandsaw that is in need of these fences, so if a good solution is found, I would like to play. My saw however has remnants of a foot feed arrangement as well, but even that is not complete. I have never seen this feed mechanism, so a photo would be nice.

Josh,
thanks for the photos and the documentation. The images are small on my computer- can you explain what was originally in the hole where you now have the threaded hook and what was its function? was it just to lift the fence off the table like I'm guessing you use the hook for?

Peter

The hook is also original. :)
It is there so you can attach the cable from the gravity feed to pull a job through the saw.

Here is a link to my collection of DoAll documentation (most of which is also available from DoAll itself)
http://theageofindustry.com/documents/doall-ml-bandsaw-manuals-and-accessory-info

The attachments document is full of good drawings of the fences, but the quality is awful.
Anyone have an original of that?

Josh

josh, thanks for the drawings link. good stuff. looks like your saw has the original slide rail for the rip fence. can you tell me what size material it is? That will help me scale up the dwgs.
Peter

Back