What's new
What's new

Wanted - Harig 618 surface grinder wheel guard

Overland

Stainless
Help, once again, please.
I just got a Harig, but unfortunately the wheel guard is broken.
The flat guard on the front side of the wheel is good, but the back part that clamps around the spindle is broken.
Does anyone have one available please or maybe know where I might get one ?
Secondly, The splash guard on the table is also broken. Does anyone have one of those please ?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Last edited:
Help, once again, please.
I just got a Harig, but unfortunately the wheel guard is broken.
The flat guard on the front side of the wheel is good, but the back part that clamps around the spindle is broken.
Does anyone have one available please or maybe know where I might get one ?
Secondly, The splash guard on the table is also broken. Does anyone have one of those please ?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

FYI I looked for quite some time for used wheel guard and one never turned up. Ended up buying new from Harig for about $450.

My 612 was missing the guard for years. I finally bought another parts machine that had the guard. Not easy to find. But now I have lots of 612 spare parts.

Take your broken parts to your local foundry. With luck, they will be able to make you new ones.

I just went through fixing a missing casting. I was able to borrow one and had a friend draw me up a CAD model and then 3D print the pattern and I took it to my local foundry and that's when they told me they do lots of castings from broken ones. No idea how cost effective it is, but it's sure worth looking into.

metalmagpie

Ross (Alfa GT) here on PM has one of my Taft Pierce surface grinders. As I recall the wheel guard on that machine was in pieces too.
The replacement was "backyard foundry" cast, mostly reclaimed automotive pistons. It was neither difficult nor time consuming.

Bottom line, this should be very doable, and quite likely someone either here or over at one of the hobby machining forums would be willing to assist.

Thanks guys for the interest and suggestions.
Certainly I have the option of welding the pieces back together again, just hoping to avoid that.
Thanks,
Bob

Back