What's new
What's new

Wanted: Narrow thin stainless strip or shim

sfriedberg

Diamond
This is a bit of a long shot, but if anybody has narrow stainless shim, or thin sheet shear drops or maybe a specialty metal tape of some kind, anywhere from 0.1-0.25" wide (1/8" would be great), 0.002-0.010" thick (0.005" would be great), 4" or longer useable lengths, I'm interested in getting some. Consistent width would be good. Deburred or rounded edges would be ideal. Don't need a lot, a small USPS flat rate box would keep me busy for a while. Don't care about flatness, so long as it's not hard kinked. Going to bend it anyway.

I have been making very small quantities by cutting down 1/2" wide stainless shim stock. Looking for other options.

Has to go through a commercial washing machine with strong alkaline detergents and prolonged exposure to dampness without corrosion, so stainless is assumed. But if you had titanium or something exotic and non-reactive, I'd be willing to hear about it. Budget is better suited to tinfoil, though. :o

Making hats? :D

"Integrated Hoodie" please try to keep up with the times....

Seriously, diacro makes a little benchtop hand operated shear, I think it might work well for this if you can't get someone here to supply the material to size.

Attachments

• Xavier.png
    Xavier.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 24
This whole mask/virus thing is sure bringing out the challenges. I pulled out the electric portable that I hadn't looked at since the flood last year when it sat in a foot of water. Interior was all rust and nothing moved. After some work, disassembly, scrubbing, fiddling and oiling it actually got back to making masks. Still not sure if I've got the thread tension pieces back right and adjusted but stitches that hold are good enough. And as a former boss said with overdue projects, "Good enough is perfect."

I don't have any to give, sell or trade you but they are easy to buy. Zip / Wire ties SS metal of course. I usually have some around for different jobs and use them occasionally. I can check the size I have but they do come in different sizes.
They might work for what you need.

Andy

McMaster also sells 1/8" to 1/4" wide stainless in various alloys/tempers. All you'd need to do is cut to length.

Thanks, I didn't even think to check McMaster-Carr. The cable ties are slightly too wide, but that got me thinking about other things to "repurpose". The widest "bend-and-stay flat wire" in 304 stainless they carry looks pretty good for my purpose.

I have an industrial sewing machine in my dining room (Juki DDL-8700) and have made a couple of masks for myself, but the stainless tape is for something else. Not a bad idea though, and the size would be just about right!

Wire doesn't have the width needed, although I did ask a jewelry friend with a mini rolling mill if he'd flatten some for me. He said "sure" until I added "stainless", at which point he looked like I'd asked to eat one of his children. Jeweler's mills apparently good only for soft metals.

Jeweler's mills apparently good only for soft metals.
They will squish stainless wire just fine, but if you get even the slightest dent in the rolls that will get transferred to every other piece of metal you run through the mill.
I would bet this is more an "abundance of caution" than a real limitation of the machine.

Stack sheets up, clamp between thicker plates with screws and wire cut your pieces out.

Like $50 in wire time for 200 pieces of .005 .1x4" and they will be perfect, no burrs.

20200501_164423-picsay.jpg20200501_164432-picsay.jpgI bought coils of stainless 1/8" wide by .015" thick - see pics. Order it in any width,thickness,length you need. I think I got this through MSC.

This is a bit of a long shot, but if anybody has narrow stainless shim, or thin sheet shear drops or maybe a specialty metal tape of some kind, anywhere from 0.1-0.25" wide (1/8" would be great), 0.002-0.010" thick (0.005" would be great), 4" or longer useable lengths, I'm interested in getting some. Consistent width would be good. Deburred or rounded edges would be ideal. Don't need a lot, a small USPS flat rate box would keep me busy for a while. Don't care about flatness, so long as it's not hard kinked. Going to bend it anyway.

I have been making very small quantities by cutting down 1/2" wide stainless shim stock. Looking for other options.

Has to go through a commercial washing machine with strong alkaline detergents and prolonged exposure to dampness without corrosion, so stainless is assumed. But if you had titanium or something exotic and non-reactive, I'd be willing to hear about it. Budget is better suited to tinfoil, though. :o

Back