What's new
What's new

Wanted: Nichols Horizontal Milling Machine Parts

Degull

Aluminum
Hello everyone. I am on the hunt for an over arm support, vertical milling head attachment and any other accessories for a Nichols horizontal miller. If you have or know of any for sale, please let me know. Thanks.

Fernando

I have the adapter for the vertical head. It's made by Nichols. About a 30 taper with an internal spline to drive the head. It's in good shape and probably extremely rare. Rich

I have the adapter for the vertical head. It's made by Nichols. About a 30 taper with an internal spline to drive the head. It's in good shape and probably extremely rare. Rich

My machine is 40 taper, I read somewhere that the earlier Nichols were 30 taper. Can you confirm what taper your adapter has? I would love to get my hands on a vertical milling head if I can find one.

My machine is 40 taper, I read somewhere that the earlier Nichols were 30 taper. Can you confirm what taper your adapter has? I would love to get my hands on a vertical milling head if I can find one.
You are correct. The adapter is a 40 taper. The drawbar thread is 7/16"-14.

I have a vertical head with out the drive adapter I am interested in selling. It has an adapter for some type of collet too.
$190 + shipping

nichols head 3.jpgnichols head 2.jpgnichols head 1.jpg

Looking for an adapter for my vertical head as well if anyone happens to have one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have anything to sell, but i've seen these at HGR for basically free before. Might be worth keeping an eye on there if they happen to sell machine that has what you're looking for on it already.

The vert heads are hokey as hell. Guys think they will be the dogs rod, get them, and then pass them on.
I prefer to use my Nichols in horizontal mode, but there are definitely jobs where the vertical head is the thing to use. No chance I will "pass it on" as unwanted.

Not sure why you'd say "hokey as hell". The vertical head seems capable of using everything the relatively small motor on a Nichols is capable of putting out. It's not what I would use on a 7.5HP or 10HP #2 or #3 mill, but the Nichols is a machine in a distinctly smaller class, NMTB 40 taper notwithstanding.

BTW, reading back a few years on this thread, the "adapter for some type of collets" is probably an adapter for 4NS collets. My Nichols came with two of them, which I promptly sold as my shop will never see a 4NS collet.

Hi guys.
I'm also looking for a Nichols hand Miller vertical head if anyone has one for sale or can point me to some who's got one to sell. I'm over on Australia and bought a disassembled Nichols hand Miller, but it seems they're pretty rare over here. I'm keen to resurrect it though as they are an interestingly designed machine.
Regards from down-under!
Owen

Back