What's new
What's new

Wanted: Nichols Milling Machine Horizontal Arm & Support

Degull

Aluminum
I am looking a Nichols horizontal arm and support for my Nichols hand miller. If any one has one for sale or knows of one for sale, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Fernando

On my nichols I used a piece of 2 1/4 TGP 1045 bar stock. Works fine. I had the arbor support so half the battle was won. If you decide to make an arbor support I have the bearing size and can give you measurements if you need them.

On my nichols I used a piece of 2 1/4 TGP 1045 bar stock. Works fine. I had the arbor support so half the battle was won. If you decide to make an arbor support I have the bearing size and can give you measurements if you need them.

If I cannot find one for sale I will definitely take you up on those dimensions. I am using my horizontal Nichols mill to notch tubes and not had a need for the horizontal arm and support yet. Hopefully I can track one down.

As tommy1010 said, a length of TGP 2.25" round works perfectly for the overarm. The stock overarm on my Nichols is 20.25" long, and I picked up TGP 24" long so I could use longer standard NMTB40 arbors instead of just Nichols' own arbors.

Now, the Nichols arbor support only works with Nichols' own arbors. The pilots are a non-standard size, and the needle roller bearing in the support won't accept the pilot of a standard arbor. I had a couple of castings made by Gary Martin with enough meat in them to allow putting in an adjustable bronze bearing for a standard arbor pilot, but I haven't finished that particular project.

Now, the Nichols arbor support only works with Nichols' own arbors. The pilots are a non-standard size, and the needle roller bearing in the support won't accept the pilot of a standard arbor. I had a couple of castings made by Gary Martin with enough meat in them to allow putting in an adjustable bronze bearing for a standard arbor pilot, but I haven't finished that particular project.

I had no idea that I would have to use non standard arbors. Thanks for mentioning that.
This casting made by Gary Martin, what is it and how do I get one?

I had no idea that I would have to use non standard arbors.

-My Nichols has a bronze bushing in the support, rather than a needle bearing. I bought several non-Nichols arbors to tool up mine, including some long 1-1/4" pieces I had to cut down and re-thread.

With the bronze bushing in the support, you can simply turn a stud of appropriate size and smoothness right onto the end of the arbor. An actual needle bearing would require that stud to be hardened, but for a bushing, it just needs to be the right size and smooth.

Doc.

I had no idea that I would have to use non standard arbors. Thanks for mentioning that.
This casting made by Gary Martin, what is it and how do I get one?
Nichols arbors have an 9/16" pilot [corrected] while standard style A arbors have a 23/32" pilot. Conveniently for Nichols, 9/16" is a standard size for needle roller bearings. Unhappily for me, 23/32" is not, which is why I planned on an adjustable bronze bushing.

There were exactly two of these castings made, to my design, and this is a picture of both of them, still in to-do state as received from heat-treat, together with my factory arbor support. The arbor pilot enters from the right in this orientation.
Nichols_arbor_supports.jpg

If I were doing this again, I would use the more modern (I think) Nichols design for the clamping bosses, where there is basically a continuous tab across the top of the support, with two clamps and one central screw for forcing the support open. I have to knock wedges into the slot on my Nichols-original support so it will slide onto the overarm; the factory castings close up that much.

As a bonus, here's a photo of a Nichols 1" arbor and a standard NMTB40 1" arbor.
Nichols_arbors.jpg

Since you have a Nichols mill, you already know the spindle doesn't have driving lugs. Instead you just put one or two socket head cap screws into the face of the spindle. As you can see here, the Nichols arbors don't have driving notches. A 1/4" dowel, secured by a setscrew, makes a fine driven lug. You can also see the Nichols pilot is considerably smaller than the NMTB40 pilot.

The remaining pieces in that photo are the double-ended drawbar. It's a little-known fact that the ASME standard for milling arbors specifies two drawbar threads for each size of NMTB taper. For NMTB40, the two sizes are 5/8" and 7/16". Almost all commercial NMTB40 arbors use the larger size. Nichols arbors use the smaller size. The drawbar will accommodate either size, by reversing the double-ended rod and nut. IIRC, Doc got fed up with the two-piece drawbar and make his own, dedicated to one size.

I should say, that you can probably do quite a bit without the overarm. So don't forgo arbor-mounted cutters just because you don't have a support that fits your available arbor pilots.

I can't imagine that Gary still has the patterns for these castings around, but you certainly have my permission (and I'll put it in writing if Gary wants) to have castings made from the patterns if they exist. You will probably find it prohibitively expensive, especially because you still have to do a couple of fussy jobs to turn the raw part into a functional support, but at least you won't have to pay for the patternmaking.

Last edited:
IIRC, Doc got fed up with the two-piece drawbar and make his own, dedicated to one size.

-I did indeed. Although part of that was wanting a drawbar nut that you could slip a box-end wrench over. The factory nut only lets you slide an open-end in from the side, and with the belt cover, that can be kind of a pain. With a regular drawbar nut, I can use a dogleg box-end wrench which gives me plenty of clearance for the wrench and my hand to the belt cover.

To the OP, your best bet might be to just make a flat support out of bar stock, either steel like the aforementiioned This Old Tony video, or out of a chunk of Dura-Bar cast iron. It may not look factory, but it'll work, and that's the important part.

Doc.

I have a DIY arbor support for my Nichols too- instead its out of some 6061 bar, also in unfinished condition. I fit a standard bronze arbor bushing, with fancy oil groove stuff, and an eccentric sleeve to go on the arbor to get the center distance exactly right. Its on the list of things to finish.. but a low priority since most all my tooling is really short and a stub arbor has been sufficient for gear cutters and whatnot.

Been using the Nichols the last couple days, sawing some plates out of scrap. Liking the horizontal since the plate can be clamped down flat on table and sawn with the blade running down along the t-slot, and set edge up in the vise for drilling.

Made a set of DIY drawbars too- NMTB, CAT and Nichols, wrench for them hanging on a nail right beside the machine. OTOH I don't have a belt guard, so its all out in the open.

arbors

Since I only had one original arbor for my Nichols I made a couple of arbors for cutters I had that would not fit the 7/8" I had. I made a 1" and 1 1/4" one that fits in Cat40 endmill holders of 1" and 1 1/4". Made end to fit the bearing in the arbor support.
To the OP. Do you have the 5 place pulley arrangement or the 2 place setup?

Since I only had one original arbor for my Nichols I made a couple of arbors for cutters I had that would not fit the 7/8" I had. I made a 1" and 1 1/4" one that fits in Cat40 endmill holders of 1" and 1 1/4". Made end to fit the bearing in the arbor support.
To the OP. Do you have the 5 place pulley arrangement or the 2 place setup?

I have the 5 place pulley arrangement.

I really appreciate the comments. My Nichols is not needed has a horizontal mill at the moment. I was hoping to find an original instead of having to make one. I was lucky enough to find a Nichols vertical head attachment and arbor adapter recently. Was trying my luck again to find an original horizontal arm and support.

My project at the moment is adapting a taiwanese 30 taper drill head to the Nichols. I have the head mounted on a stub that goes into the overarm hole, motor shaft and pulley made, working on the bearing supports, then the frame to mount it on the head. I'm lukewarm on it even though 30 taper has plenty of tooling available- how useful have you found the OEM vertical head to be?

Greg

I corrected the Nichols arbor pilot size in my posting above.

Greg, I find the OEM vertical head to be very handy indeed. It's a nuisance to mount until you learn a few tricks, but very easy to tram, and plenty stout. I have used the tilting capability once or twice (in many situations it's limited by the cross-slide travel) and the fact that it uses the same tooling as the main spindle is a plus.

I'm dubious about how well my head will tram (does not have a "nod" axis) which might entail some scraping. It has some latitude for in/out by changing how far into the overarm bore its mounted.

I have some TG100 stuff for it, tried a jacobs arbor and chuck on it- used up a lot of z. The machine came to me with a Bridgeport R head on the overarm which was a good match.. traded the R head for a 10hp vfd. OTOH my head has a quill, going to be kind of heavy tho with the motor on it and all. If it works out maybe I'll get an ER32 chuck, at least that will let me use a bunch of stuff I already have.

Greg

Since I mentioned "tricks", perhaps I should expand on that a bit. The Nichols vertical head isn't very heavy, but you really need three hands to mount it. One to hold it up and rotate it around the spindle, one to insert the T-bolts through the back of the fixed mounting flange that sticks out a bit past the left side of the rise-and-fall machine head, and one to put nuts on the T-bolts when they come through the flange on the vertical head. Working alone, one of those things needs to be done in some less obvious way. Closest I have come to elegant is to use two hands, a short length of 2x4 and the knee crank to hold the vertical head up and in a fixed rotation, then move the two hands to get a T-bolt and nut in place before the 2x4 slips out of place. Rotate head 90 degrees and repeat three more times.

The OEM head has no nod, either. But I am satisfied that vertical spindle is perpendicular to the horizontal spindle, so tilt is all that needs to be trammed out.

Still looking for an overarm support for my Nichols. I got it all back together and running. It is not urgent but not giving up the hunt!

8663D728-5701-445C-A502-0DF03AB06889.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but I see these machines come up from time to time at HGR. Might be worth keeping an eye on. Nobody really wants them so they can end up going cheap. Maybe cheap enough to buy a 2nd machine with the overarm you're after, and either a parts machine or a 2nd one to use or scrap.

Not sure if this helps, but I see these machines come up from time to time at HGR. Might be worth keeping an eye on. Nobody really wants them so they can end up going cheap. Maybe cheap enough to buy a 2nd machine with the overarm you're after, and either a parts machine or a 2nd one to use or scrap.

I'll take any help I can get, thank you!

I just bought another Nichols miller. It came with a vertical head and no overarm support! Now I have two Nichols milling machines equipped with vertical heads but no overarm supports! I don't need the overarm yet but certainly feeling like I'm missing something.

Back