Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Darn I forgot to mention this: if you want to remove all the oxide from those parts, you can immerse them
    in liquid blue soldering flux. It works even cold - we use it frequently at work to clean up copper parts. Best
    if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, parts go in a beaker, flux goes in the beaker, beaker suspended in the
    water bath of the U/S cleaner.
    I put them in my shaker bead machine; it worked ok. Maybe a quick vinegar bath?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, old Delta Unisaw "bullet" motors had a similar spring. It was referred to as a necklace spring. There was a thread on the old woodworking machinery site about making a new spring. It involved buying a spring from McMaster and shortening it to the correct length. Connecting the spring ends was done by soldering a short section of threaded rod screwed into the ID of the spring. As I recall this solution wasn't 100% effective, sometimes the motor wouldn't start, but good enough for the author's vintage, collectible saw.

The main issue is getting the spring length right so it actuates at the correct rpm. I figured having a CNC lathe to spin the assembly at various rpm's would be ideal.

When that spring broke on one of my motors I went a local motor re-builder and talked with the oldest employee (semi-retired, around 80 years old). He laughed saying he hadn't seen any of that spring stock available for at least 25 years.

3. Likes Doppelganger703 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    FWIW, old Delta Unisaw "bullet" motors had a similar spring. It was referred to as a necklace spring. There was a thread on the old woodworking machinery site about making a new spring. It involved buying a spring from McMaster and shortening it to the correct length. Connecting the spring ends was done by soldering a short section of threaded rod screwed into the ID of the spring. As I recall this solution wasn't 100% effective, sometimes the motor wouldn't start, but good enough for the author's vintage, collectible saw.

The main issue is getting the spring length right so it actuates at the correct rpm. I figured having a CNC lathe to spin the assembly at various rpm's would be ideal.

When that spring broke on one of my motors I went a local motor re-builder and talked with the oldest employee (semi-retired, around 80 years old). He laughed saying he hadn't seen any of that spring stock available for at least 25 years.
    I'm gonna have to swing by a few of the old timer electric repair shops.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_CNC_guy View Post
    Thanks for that. I read it and some of the others.
    But what is the function of the keys? How do they work?
    I just can't visualize the construction.

Thanks,
    Pete.
    I liked the simple video too.

YouTube