What's new
What's new

Wanted: South Bend 13" Steady Rest & follower

Chrispyny

Plastic
Hello and good evening all. I am new to the forum. I am in my late 30's, and a field tech for a major telco in upstate NY. Dad is a retired machinist from the Watervliet Arsenal. I want to learn things from him before it is too late. SO.

I picked up a gorgeous South Bend 13"x60" lathe made in 1982. It was purchased along with another by a man at auction from a public school auction from Hamden, CT last year. He stored them in a storage facility until putting them up on Clist 2 weeks ago. It seems the Hamden school district was or is ditching old machines, or the entire metal shop program more likely. The machine is gorgeous mechanically, ok cosmetically. My passion is restoring any kind of old American iron, so this will get the 'brad jacobs' (you all may notice i have been studying this site profusely).

Thankfully, the shop teacher in charge of the machines took very good care of them, and mine was no exception. Wood boards across the ways, frequently oiled, etc. Only two little nicks on the compound from chuck impacts. The ways are GLEAMING.. South Bend 13.jpg South Bend 13 Gleam.jpg

Anyways, I just got the thing home last week and its a keeper. I also have a new in box south bend 8" 4 jaw D1-4 chuck for it, and what i believe to be a chuck plate for collets also new in box from South bend. I came across these from another lathe i purchased and sold the next day. That is a story for another day.

Which brings me to wanting a nice steady rest and follower for it. So if anyone cares to either part with one, or maybe suggest where i may purchase an original, please be kind and let me know.

I understand this site isn't for beginners so i shall not impart my ignorance across the website. But some mercy and kind help would be appreciated.
Thanks all.
God bless America.

I may have the proper steadyrest. When I get back to the shop Monday I will take a picture and supply
measurements. Please PM me If I forget, I have CRS.

Congratulations, that is a very nice machine.
The seller wasn’t from Oneida by any chance was he?

No. He was from Columbia, Ct.

I believe i know which lathe you were refering to if you are refering to the 13"x60" SB which was posted on the utica/otsego/oneida clist until 2 weeks ago. That lathe was also very pretty, and included a collet holder, and extras. It was cosmetically in better condition as mine, but no clue as to mechanics.
I missed out on that lathe. I was ready to make an offer the day the ad was pulled. Everything happens for a reason.

Still looking for the steady rests. Maybe someone can help? If no one has one for sale, maybe somone knows a good contact i can call who may have them?

Thanks!

I may have a steady rest. I read your post again but didn't see a model of the lathe you have. Maybe I over looked it. Anyway, if you can supply pics or dimensions of the steady rest I'll check it against what I have

Back