What's new
What's new

Wanted: Standard Modern Series 2000 13" Lathe Feed Gear Train and Tail Stock

Cdugiedugan

Plastic
I'm in search of some crucial parts for the feed gear train for my Standard Modern Series 2000 13" lathe. I purchased this machine as a basket case to try and save it from being scrapped. Only to find that it was missing from important pieces.

In the parts blowup below, the main pieces I am looking for are 8, 11, 22, and 27. Gears are a plus too but I know I can source them from other companies or machine them myself.

Along with the feed gear train, I am also missing the base for my tail stock.

Lathe 1.jpgLathe 2.jpgLathe 3.jpg

Your picture is small. Tiny, in fact. Can't really tell what parts you want from it.

If you are looking for a project to machine yourself, the gear quadrant is flat stock with a couple holes in. some drilling tapping, and a couple saw slits, and you have an uglier, but just as effective quadrant. Can't tell from the picture, but if it's like most, likely the 'other' hole is a slot to fit the axle the gears revolve upon, to allow different sizes to mesh.

Your picture is small. Tiny, in fact. Can't really tell what parts you want from it.

If you are looking for a project to machine yourself, the gear quadrant is flat stock with a couple holes in. some drilling tapping, and a couple saw slits, and you have an uglier, but just as effective quadrant. Can't tell from the picture, but if it's like most, likely the 'other' hole is a slot to fit the axle the gears revolve upon, to allow different sizes to mesh.

Apologies for the small picture. Not sure what happened there. I guess the plate itself I’m not too worried about. But the hardest part to figure is the reversing plate (I’ll call it for a better lack of words) and the “driveshaft”

You might try LeBlond to see what they can supply, since they acquired all the Standard Modern parts from the Toronto operation.

.. Gregg

It might be just my eyes, but that lathe looks like a SM 1134. Not the 13" swing lathe that I have many hours on. (1340 model) Different headstock and bed. Did you measure center height?

Both 1340's and 1134's were nice medium duty lathes imho.

L7

That's a very cruel way of telling you they're not interested in supporting the older machines.

I can't give you any concrete suggestions, but perhaps try contacting some of the Canadian used machinery dealers in Canada ... I'd suggest in Toronto or Montreal. Lots of these machines were sold to trade schools and such.

Good luck,
.. Gregg

You might also keep an eye on the military surplus sales, gov used a lot of S-M machines. There is also ebay. Tailstock base might be a hard piece to find, have you considered just making one? If you know DP/tooth count of the gears, maybe you can buy off the shelf gears and modify them to fit?

Keep in mind that whatever you do for a tailstock base, you will have to ensure its center height matches the headstock centerline. That being the case, dalmatiangirl61's suggestion (above) about just making one, makes a lot of sense.

.. Gregg

http://www.standard-modern.com/docs/manuals/standard-modern-utilathe-11-13-inch-manual.pdf
Page 13 of the .pdf file above.

Do you have a lathe to use in the meantime? A mill would be handy too. But you could kludge something together that works well enough to work, so as to use the lathe to make lathe parts.

For all it looks like a complicated part, you could make it with a drill press for the holes, and a lathe to turn the main pivot section. Silver solder or weld the two parts together. Or saw a section off some seamless tube, and press a bronze bush the right size in to it as the main section.
The rest of that part is an exercise in geometry, and figuring gear center distances.

The rod that you are looking for, again, it can be made on a lathe, take the dimensions off the holes it fits through. Looks like it has a short key set in to it to engage and disengage the feed train (?) Also not hard to do on a lathe.

Watch ebay. There seems to always be a stream of parts for various machines that someone is selling, up there.

I was very close to owning a SM1340 at one point. Shoulda bid $20 more! :)

Trevj, you reminded me that I almost bought a SM1340 new in the late 1990's. Only reason I didn't is that a new condition Colchester Triumph 2000 came up for sale out of Bayer's lab in Toronto for much less money...

The local community college has or had (haven't stuck my nose in for years) a row of Colchester Triumph 2000's in varying states of worn out/ broken, a DS&G that I loved using and a few SM 1340's in surprisingly good shape. Always struck me as odd that the Colchesters were beaten up and the only slightly newer SM's were chugging along fine.

Lucky7

Trevj, you reminded me that I almost bought a SM1340 new in the late 1990's. Only reason I didn't is that a new condition Colchester Triumph 2000 came up for sale out of Bayer's lab in Toronto for much less money...

The local community college has or had (haven't stuck my nose in for years) a row of Colchester Triumph 2000's in varying states of worn out/ broken, a DS&G that I loved using and a few SM 1340's in surprisingly good shape. Always struck me as odd that the Colchesters were beaten up and the only slightly newer SM's were chugging along fine.

Lucky7

The SM1340 I missed was on Crown Assets. Being a sealed bid outfit, rather than an auction that you can see the price rise on, I bid what seemed about right, and someone won it for literally, lunch money, more than I bid. Ugh! What really made me kick myself, was that the lathe and a step shear were packaged together as a lot, and I knew a guy that was really looking for a step shear for his shop at the time...

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, Didna! :)
Thems the breaks in that game!

Worst of it was, really, that I knew the machines, as they both were out of one of my former workplaces. What a bunch of idiots they were, to be rid of them!

Back