What's new
What's new

Wanted: Wahlstrom Automatic Chuck

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
I am interested in finding one of these. If you have one laying around, I would be interested in buying it from you. I would prefer the 1/2" MT2 style, but would be willing to consider any really. Thank you for reading.

Mike

Mike,
I've used these chucks for quite a while. Some people hate them for some reason. They can be scary if used without thinking. For example, if the chuck is to close to the work piece and the drill doesn't have total height clearance to go straight in, it will grab the bit in the jaws and zoom it across the shop. Or worse! Always use a bit of speed while pulling down on the release hub. Otherwise it won't release and the knurled surface will grind your calluses off.
Here's crotchety me running a Wahlstrom.
Wahlstrom chuck: drilling, chamfering and tapping 5/16-18 - YouTube

Mike,
I've used these chucks for quite a while. Some people hate them for some reason. They can be scary if used without thinking. For example, if the chuck is to close to the work piece and the drill doesn't have total height clearance to go straight in, it will grab the bit in the jaws and zoom it across the shop. Or worse! Always use a bit of speed while pulling down on the release hub. Otherwise it won't release and the knurled surface will grind your calluses off.
Your video is actually one of the first ones I watched that made me think, "Dang, do you know how many times that would have saved me time and actually how much time?" Like your video with the pieces, I've done that very similar job and to save time, swapped out every piece for every size and tap change. Side note, I have that annoying friend that likes to come use my tools and leaving that thing in the spindle would definitely confuse him.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

You may have noticed in the video that I keep changing speeds. My mill is equipped with a VFD with 5 pre-selected speeds. I push one button for drilling, then chamfer and taping. But in between I speed up to create a tighter hold on the tools. That helps to hold the tap especially. If the tap does begin to slip, it's either not tight enough, or there's oil on the jaws. Yes, of course there should be, but I spray it out of the chuck with brake cleaner. That give the jaws much better "gription"! Is that called tool abuse?

I don't think that's called too abuse. I keep some q-tips near mine and if any of my chucks start to slip, I just open them up and give each jaw a quick wipe with brake cleaner on a q-tip and then continue going. I did also notice the changes in speed. I did not know that it helps them increase grip if you go faster down.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Put me down in the hater group. I have what looks like a brand new chuck been on my shelf for years. Tried it once didn't like. Its a 3/8 cap on a 1/2 straight shank that has been cut short. I would take $20 plus shipping for it. Want a picture? Just ask.
Bob

Put me down in the hater group. I have what looks like a brand new chuck been on my shelf for years. Tried it once didn't like. Its a 3/8 cap on a 1/2 straight shank that has been cut short. I would take $20 plus shipping for it. Want a picture? Just ask.
Bob

I would like to buy it, but feel Michael should have first crack at it. I'll wait for his reply.

Since John Evans showed me one of these... My big drill press has had one...

One little bit of caution....
You do need to keep an eye on what you put in these chucks.... When you tighten them they start spinning no matter where your fingers are...

Mike,

Now you did it... After watching this video Im gonna put one in my mill....

What size is it? I may be interested. Oh, and how much?

[FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]WAHLSTROM[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] [/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]Automatic[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] Keyless [/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]Drill[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] [/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]Chuck[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] [/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]28-94[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] (1/32" - 1/2")

I don't recall what arbor it has. I'll be at the shop this weekend.

[/FONT]
$50 shipped.

[FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]WAHLSTROM[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] [/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]Automatic[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] Keyless [/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]Drill[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] [/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]Chuck[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] [/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]28-94[/FONT][FONT=DDG_ProximaNova] (1/32" - 1/2")

I don't recall what arbor it has. I'll be at the shop this weekend.

[/FONT]
$50 shipped.

PM sent.........

Back