What's new
What's new

WANTED: wire, 3 phase panels and breakers

rpseguin

Stainless
I’m looking for THHN (or equiv) wire:

-160 feet or hopefully more of #2
-a roll or partial roll of #6

I’m also looking for two 3 phase load centers to put after my rotary phase converter (240V 3ph) and transformer (440V 3ph) some breakers to put in them:
240V: 5A, 10A, 15A, 20A, 30A
440V: 5A, 10A, 15A

I have a half sheet of 3/4” CDX for trade for everything above :-)

Are you a experienced electrician? Do you have experience with high voltage three leg or the voltages you referenced? Have you ever dealt with wye/delta or similar setups before? Do you have the equipment necessary to phase out branches or to test loads? Do you know how to do load calculations, layout panel schedules, rate and derate condiuit fills? How well do you know NEC or NFPA70? If any of this if foreign to you, or you have questions, pay someone to do the work, all of it. When you start to piece meal electrical systems together you run into problems. You asked a whole lot with such little information. You said you wanted THHN #2 and #6, there are a bunch of details missing there. You wanted breakers for three phase, what panel type, bolt on or screw on, delayed or fixed, what thermal rating, etc? You said you want a 440v and 240v breakers, which is it? Some panels are high voltage and you cannot cross breakers in from a lower voltage. What NEMA rating are you looking for for all of this stuff. LOTS AND LOTS of questions here for such a dangerous playground. Electricity is no joke, especially when you get into unbalanced loads, high voltage, delta/wye, etc etc etc.

Not trying to put you off, just trying to make sure I am not enabling a box and burial.

Suggest THWN-2 / THHN-2. I get mine online from WesBell.

Half the conduit installs on the planet wind up "assuming" water ingress, and in a shop, one ass-u-me's that oil MAY also "get around".. so JF plan to handle it, whether YOU think it will never-ever happen or not.

An example.. note the multiple ratings:

THHN 4 AWG STRANDED, COPPER | WesBell Electronics

I’m also looking for two 3 phase load centers to put after my rotary phase converter (240V 3ph) and transformer (440V 3ph) some breakers to put in them:

- AT 300-V class, I have two load-centers spare. Just looked.

You - maybe - cannot use them, nor can I. Email sent.

Coming off a Delta service (our RPC's .. or my Phase-Perfect) the any leg to ground exceeds the (Eaton / Cutler-Hammer) 120 V label max. on at least one leg. That bars use of 1-Pole 120/240 breakers. If you even planned any.

Coming off even my Delta-Wye transformer, all THREE legs (here) are above 120 VAC to Earth as ....the actual split-phase service enters @ 246 VAC, and the transformer delivers 1:1 246 VAC Wye, not 208 VAC Wye. That was not an accident. I don't use the lower Voltage (nominally 142 VAC) off it at all.

With that 440 Transformer under-roof, you need to be looking for "600 Volt Class" goods, too.

"The Devil is in the details", y'see.

- Speaking of which... NFPA 70 is searcheable online these days. With expert commentary. Take advantage of that.

They have made a few changes to it the past 65 years..

IF .. I were "shopping"? My "some breakers" list would have Square-D "QO" family only, and with specific part numbers.

One cannot mix and match this s**t across family. Nor mix bolt-on, clip-on, or "unit mount" even WITHIN a "family".

Pick your favourite major-maker "family". Stick with it.

Less waste and hassle over time as your stash of goods is re-usable in everything you've wired... since 1955, as to the "QO", Dad then I.

SQ_D "QO" is VERY widely utilized, so there are plenty of sources, including NOS & NNB surplused from altered projects at "slight" discounts.

No "magical" huge bargains, though. I did say "widely utilized?" It finds buyers, and rapidly.

Last thing you need are problematic orphans, abandoned versions, and obsoletes, and some brands, even major-maker? Surely ARE "problematic."

Phhht.. no help!

I'm an "ACX exterior" guy! Prolly the wrong-way "half", too, given you are in California?

My luck it would be full 4' X 8' but "half a sheet" arright ...... split to 3/8" thick?

:D

Do you have experience with high voltage three leg or the voltages you referenced?

Yes.

Have you ever dealt with wye/delta or similar setups before?

Yes.
The system in question has been running for years now, but I am looking to clean it up.

Do you have the equipment necessary to phase out branches or to test loads? Do you know how to do load calculations, layout panel schedules, rate and derate condiuit fills?

Yes. Yes.

How well do you know NEC or NFPA70?

How well does anyone know that behemoth?!??
I am familiar with it and been following it and local guidelines as well as I can when redoing the existing single phase electrical morass and Zinsco panel.
I assure you, the work I am doing is much cleaner and safer than the original Frankenstein wiring.

If any of this if foreign to you, or you have questions, pay someone to do the work, all of it. When you start to piece meal electrical systems together you run into problems.

I’m trying to clean up my 3 phase stuff in my garage so it is less piecemeal.

You asked a whole lot with such little information. You said you wanted THHN #2 and #6, there are a bunch of details missing there.

Those are mostly for my single phase stuff. The #2 is to run a subpanel so most of my home runs can be shorter, cleaner and easier than from the main panel.

You wanted breakers for three phase, what panel type, bolt on or screw on, delayed or fixed, what thermal rating, etc?

Open to suggestions.

You said you want a 440v and 240v breakers, which is it?

BOTH!
I mentioned I want TWO panels, one for the 240V 3ph stuff and one for the 440V 3ph coming out of my step up transformer.

Some panels are high voltage and you cannot cross breakers in from a lower voltage. What NEMA rating are you looking for for all of this stuff. LOTS AND LOTS of questions here for such a dangerous playground. Electricity is no joke, especially when you get into unbalanced loads, high voltage, delta/wye, etc etc etc.

Not trying to put you off, just trying to make sure I am not enabling a box and burial.

I give it plenty of respect and it is out of this respect that I want to clean up my 3ph setup.

redoing the existing single phase electrical morass and Zinsco panel.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Should be "gone, already".

One of a dozen and more articles on the way and why of Zinsco:

Are Zinsco Electrical Panels Safe? Dangers & Cost to Replace – Home Inspection Insider

Go Ogle or Duckpuckerplucker will find plenty more.

Bad ju-Ju, Zinsco (FPE/Sylvania).

FPE and Bryant have had a few bad innings as well.
And others.

Is Square-D "QO" Perfect? No. It is not.

Just far enough ahead of whomever is second-best I don't actually have to care, lo 65 years.. and counting.

Corps of Engineers thing and "Other People's Money" at the outset.

But Square-D is reasonably priced, lo these many years, makes few/no enemies amongst inspectors and commercial / Industrial Electricians, either ...so why would I change?

:)

Are you a experienced electrician? Do you have experience with high voltage three leg or the voltages you referenced? Have you ever dealt with wye/delta or similar setups before? Do you have the equipment necessary to phase out branches or to test loads? Do you know how to do load calculations, layout panel schedules, rate and derate condiuit fills? How well do you know NEC or NFPA70? If any of this if foreign to you, or you have questions, pay someone to do the work, all of it. When you start to piece meal electrical systems together you run into problems. You asked a whole lot with such little information. You said you wanted THHN #2 and #6, there are a bunch of details missing there. You wanted breakers for three phase, what panel type, bolt on or screw on, delayed or fixed, what thermal rating, etc? You said you want a 440v and 240v breakers, which is it? Some panels are high voltage and you cannot cross breakers in from a lower voltage. What NEMA rating are you looking for for all of this stuff. LOTS AND LOTS of questions here for such a dangerous playground. Electricity is no joke, especially when you get into unbalanced loads, high voltage, delta/wye, etc etc etc.

I always love it when an electrician tries to explain how smart they are. All the things they know about those dangerous pixies the rest of us are clueless to.

3 phase wiring is about as dumb as it gets. Safety is pretty inherent in the assembly of 3 phase wiring components.

To the OP-

I did a 3 phase panel off an RPC a long time ago. I found an industrial electrical salvage outfit and asked them what's a good panel to use. They hooked me up with something heavy and old with bolt in breakers. I remember that was kind of the key- Bolt in breakers.

Fast forward a few years and I would never want a 3 phase breaker panel again. Breakers are stupid money and old ones are often shitty.

A really good search term for your local craigslist is "busway". 3 phase busway is some slick stuff. Looks real clean and it's common with fused disconnects. Fuses are superior to breakers because they either work or they're blown. There's no "they sorta work" like happens very often with breakers.

Fuses are superior to breakers because they either work or they're blown. There's no "they sorta work" like happens very often with breakers.

Stick to making chips. And buy a better grade of breakers, next go.. .Ones that more than just "sorta" work?

Fuses are only still useful AT ALL for speciality cases. They have the nasty inherent flaw of only interrupting ONE LEG of two if not three.

The sane rule is "common trip".

Breakers can have it. Easily.

Only gawdawful costly fuses have it. Read: "not the ones Joe Average ever even lays eyeball onto."

So don't EVER use fuses on RPC 3-Phase, load side.

At all. Recipe for burnt motors ... or even nasty shock.

"Common trip" breakers ONLY!

ANY leg is overloaded?

ALL THREE legs are OPENED.

Safer that way.

Cheaper, too. Breakers can operate more than just the one time!

Stick to making chips. And buy a better grade of breakers, next go.. .Ones that more than just "sorta" work?

Fuses are only still useful AT ALL for speciality cases. They have the nasty inherent flaw of only interrupting ONE LEG of two if not three.

The sane rule is "common trip".

Breakers can have it. Easily.

Only gawdawful costly fuses have it. Read: "not the ones Joe Average ever even lays eyeball onto."

So don't EVER use fuses on RPC 3-Phase, load side.

At all. Recipe for burnt motors ... or even nasty shock.

"Common trip" breakers ONLY!

ANY leg is overloaded?

ALL THREE legs are OPENED.

Safer that way.

Cheaper, too. Breakers can operate more than just the one time!

Are you completely fucking retarded now?

On what planet are fuses obsolete for 3 phase power distribution? Fuses are current tech.

What modern factory have you been in lately that doesn't have busway with fused disconnects?

You can clearly tell when a god damn fuse is bad. It is also HELPFUL when one leg blows so you know where to start looking. Any old equipment that will try to start on 2 phases of 3 phase power is probably dumb enough to not be harmed. Anything built after about 1976 is smart enough that it won't even try.

Breakers on the other hand, are very hard to tell when they have internal damage. The concept that they are re-usable is based on some pretty sketchy cost cutting engineering.

So go price out a replacement 100 amp 240V 3ph Square D breaker. Three 100 amp square D slow blow fuses w/indicator are about $50

Are you completely fucking retarded now?

On a global "dominant carrier" telco pension?

Not b***dy likely, is that?

You, OTOH....!

If "retarded" means "many, many, years out of date."

I'm old enough to REMEMBER the era of cartridge fuse dominance.
Even old to enough to remember them for NEW installations.

I still utilize "semiconductor" rated (uber fast) protective fuses....

But "old" is the operative word.

There are too many things fuses just do not DO well, if even at all.
Hybrid interruptors rule, now.

Tailored thermal/magnetic ... remoting.. sensing "as need be", automatic reset attempts? 1955 DeSoto had auto-resetting CB's on the 6 Volt headlamp circuit. Figuring intermittent light was safer of a Lucas-dark night ...than none at all..

AFCI. AFDD. GFCI.

COMMON TRIP !!!

MANY features the code - or simple common SENSE - now requires for this case or that case ... or MANY cases .. that fuses can't even touch.

As said.. you should stick to making chips? Or faster motorcars?
Leave the electron pushing to these who ACTUALLY understand it?

Or even those of us who can "count COIN?"

So go price out a replacement 100 amp 240V 3ph Square D breaker. Three 100 amp square D slow blow fuses w/indicator are about $50

Hang on. I'm getting common sizes for less than half of MSRP. Less-common, such as 80 A clip-on, closer to MSRP. The only full-prices I've paid of late is for stand-alone unit-mounts that need a NEMA enclosure, but no bus.

The NEMA-rated enclosure to house the antique FUSES, OTOH is about $170 bucks.

Big f**ker, too. Needs more space. Don't sidetrack to "ducting". The s**t is costly and very much NOT for everybody.

The fuses are good for exactly ONE fault. You stock spares. Buy replacements so you ALWAYS have at least one set spare. If even it is enough.

Joe Average is not REALLY meant to be even inside that box, opened, pulling dead and replacing with fresh, given one side is HOT... and even a "disconnect" has hots "right THERE."

Flipping a tripped circuit-breaker paddle is less touchy. It STAYS behind the cover of the load-center. That was not an accident in design, either, was it?

And you think this fuse-fetish is a life-cycle cost saving?

Why, then does most of the entire freaking WORLD use..... circuit breakers?

Circuit Breaker & Fuse Market Size, Share Report, 2022

Guess WE are the retarded ones.. but have more money left by end of our run by accident?

"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a Machinist, and thinks that the customs of his fuses and ductwork are the only laws of NFPA-70.”

With apologies to George Bernard Shaw..

@RPSEGUIN:
As long as YOU know you are competent than move forward with it. I just always want to reinforce the importance of "knowing is half the battle" when it comes to electrical work. I hope you didn't take any disrespect away from my initial post, I didn't mean it in anyway. I have just noticed a "trend" in some forms of work albeit electrical work, in where the "I can just watch the youtube video" mindset has become more and more prevalent. Where the DIY mindset has slowly crept into the realm of stuff that DIYers shouldn't be doing. I am a strong believer in learning and pushing your knowledge. However, that being said, when it comes to the things that can/will burn down a shop due to lack of knowledge I draw the line. And, as it comes to the point, the insurance companies also draw the line when it comes to paying out after the fire inspector does his/her job and finds faulty wiring the cause. Although ""Garwood"" may or may not know what he/she is doing, I think it is best to just cover up front the (please ask a professional) clause. I would rather be cussed at for questioning if someone knew what they were doing, rather than keep my ideas to myself and take the chance I could have saved a project or even worse, a life.
I may have some of the material that you want after my last shop upgrade, you are a month and a half late as I just gave an entire pallet of this stuff to a local Youtuber (yes an experienced one at that). I will PM you about your exact location in case you are local to me, maybe I can help.

@@ GARWOOD; those "magic pixes" have stopped more hearts and killed more people than you know, burned down more garages and destroyed more projects than you can fathom, and are WIDELY misunderstood in all terms. Your synopsis of "3 phase wiring is about as dumb as it gets" is 1986 TOP GUN level "danger zone". Even the most simple form 208/230v Wye three phase, has a very VERY trouble some component to it with regard to the neutral and the system differences that are included. Is it simple? yes, when it works correctly. After that things get "prom night pregnancy" complicated. You want the OP to use fuses and circumvent breakers completely, are you out of your mind? Even the most complicated buss bar system still needs to have a main disconnect a.ka. Breaker. If you relied only on fuses as a disconnect for a branch circuit you would be in violation of NEC, as there would still be power to two legs if one went tits up. You imply that I am here to flex my brain muscle and show how much I know, incorrect you are, as I am here to flex my “I give a shit about society” muscle. You have made some very bold statements alluding to your “working knowledge” of electrical systems. Would you like to expand on any of it , please not the fuses (you missed the bar there bub), could you explain star/delta motor starters and how they are inconsistent with the US power grid, maybe venture into the issues that phase converters cause with leg frequency unbalance and the effect that has on electronics assemblies, round it off with a brief lesson preaching to us about the requirement for soil considerations for grounding potentials? Let's spice it up and how about you throw in a little about 480/277 neutral w/ground (5 wire) branch circuits.

*summoning my inner THERMITE*

One can be a BELIEVER in the Magic Pixie.
HOWEVER, those pixies: magic, vivacious, unseen, misunderstood. Come with an inherent responsibility
Alas!
That the bearer
Ney I say!!.. The Master... maintain a short leash and a taught rope.
As in lieu of the previously stated, WE the master of the pixical arts, must understand the pixies. We must devolve to their level of forethought.

See the world through the eyes of said pixie

Account for the pixie and the various stages of enduring excitement that the pixie hierarchy carry.
As ALTHOUGH
one pixie hath the power to excite, brethren pixies hath the inherent ability to end our masterful existence
***In the BLINK of an eye***

To paraphrase the philosophers know to us as "Iron Maiden":

""Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the pixie with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the PHASE of the pixie
For it is a human phase
Its phase is THREE""

@RPSEGUIN:
As long as YOU know you are competent than move forward with it. I just always want to reinforce the importance of "knowing is half the battle" when it comes to electrical work. I hope you didn't take any disrespect away from my initial post, I didn't mean it in anyway.

I wasn’t offended in any way.
I’m always learning and wanting to learn.

I would love to find an electrician that I could actually afford to pay and watch and learn. I’m certainly not an electrician, but I know how to get the job done safely.

As far as NEC is concerned, it seems awfully huge, so I’m apt to read useful distillations, but you won’t find me drinking a beer and reading it directly :-)

Here’s some samples of what the 1ph power was like when I bought the house.
125A Zinsco main service panel:
e6bb70c276765100709e36901b497cbd.jpg

Here’s a definite no no!
4-5 NM/Romex coming out of the back said Zinsco panel, through the wall and then into an unsecured box and then running up MC flex:
Super sketchy in multiple ways!

06760a72a32cc352153d1a7a0ea86f8d.jpg

I have just noticed a "trend" in some forms of work albeit electrical work, in where the "I can just watch the youtube video" mindset has become more and more prevalent. Where the DIY mindset has slowly crept into the realm of stuff that DIYers shouldn't be doing. I am a strong believer in learning and pushing your knowledge. However, that being said, when it comes to the things that can/will burn down a shop due to lack of knowledge I draw the line. And, as it comes to the point, the insurance companies also draw the line when it comes to paying out after the fire inspector does his/her job and finds faulty wiring the cause. Although ""Garwood"" may or may not know what he/she is doing, I think it is best to just cover up front the (please ask a professional) clause. I would rather be cussed at for questioning if someone knew what they were doing, rather than keep my ideas to myself and take the chance I could have saved a project or even worse, a life.
I may have some of the material that you want after my last shop upgrade, you are a month and a half late as I just gave an entire pallet of this stuff to a local Youtuber (yes an experienced one at that). I will PM you about your exact location in case you are local to me, maybe I can help.

@@ GARWOOD; those "magic pixes" have stopped more hearts and killed more people than you know, burned down more garages and destroyed more projects than you can fathom, and are WIDELY misunderstood in all terms. Your synopsis of "3 phase wiring is about as dumb as it gets" is 1986 TOP GUN level "danger zone". Even the most simple form 208/230v Wye three phase, has a very VERY trouble some component to it with regard to the neutral and the system differences that are included. Is it simple? yes, when it works correctly. After that things get "prom night pregnancy" complicated. You want the OP to use fuses and circumvent breakers completely, are you out of your mind? Even the most complicated buss bar system still needs to have a main disconnect a.ka. Breaker. If you relied only on fuses as a disconnect for a branch circuit you would be in violation of NEC, as there would still be power to two legs if one went tits up. You imply that I am here to flex my brain muscle and show how much I know, incorrect you are, as I am here to flex my “I give a shit about society” muscle. You have made some very bold statements alluding to your “working knowledge” of electrical systems. Would you like to expand on any of it , please not the fuses (you missed the bar there bub), could you explain star/delta motor starters and how they are inconsistent with the US power grid, maybe venture into the issues that phase converters cause with leg frequency unbalance and the effect that has on electronics assemblies, round it off with a brief lesson preaching to us about the requirement for soil considerations for grounding potentials? Let's spice it up and how about you throw in a little about 480/277 neutral w/ground (5 wire) branch circuits.

HOWEVER, those pixies: magic, vivacious, unseen, misunderstood. Come with an inherent responsibility
Alas!
That the bearer
As in lieu of the previously stated, WE the master of the pixical arts, must understand the pixies. We must devolve to their level of forethought.

Account for the pixie and the various stages of enduring excitement that the pixie hierarchy carry.
As ALTHOUGH
one pixie hath the power to excite, brethren pixies hath the inherent ability to end our masterful existence

For it is a human phase
Its phase is THREE""

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@RPSEGUIN:
As long as YOU know you are competent than move forward with it. I just always want to reinforce the importance of "knowing is half the battle" when it comes to electrical work. I hope you didn't take any disrespect away from my initial post, I didn't mean it in anyway. I have just noticed a "trend" in some forms of work albeit electrical work, in where the "I can just watch the youtube video" mindset has become more and more prevalent. Where the DIY mindset has slowly crept into the realm of stuff that DIYers shouldn't be doing. I am a strong believer in learning and pushing your knowledge. However, that being said, when it comes to the things that can/will burn down a shop due to lack of knowledge I draw the line. And, as it comes to the point, the insurance companies also draw the line when it comes to paying out after the fire inspector does his/her job and finds faulty wiring the cause. Although ""Garwood"" may or may not know what he/she is doing, I think it is best to just cover up front the (please ask a professional) clause. I would rather be cussed at for questioning if someone knew what they were doing, rather than keep my ideas to myself and take the chance I could have saved a project or even worse, a life.

Alas!
That the bearer

As ALTHOUGH

For it is a human phase
Its phase is THREE""

Oh F**K!!

"Which hat, God's wroth?"

LOL!

Yah.. well. Now and then a "Machinist" forgets that some 'ere are actually career "Sparky Elves" .... who just happen to have a side-interest in mashininshitsing.

those "magic pixes" have stopped more hearts and killed more Electricians than you know, burned down more garages and destroyed more projects than you can fathom, and are WIDELY misunderstood by most wire pullers.

Fixed it for ya.

-160 feet or hopefully more of #2
-a roll or partial roll of #6

I don't know if he wants plywood

Circuit Breaker Panel -- 3 Phase - business/commercial - by owner -...

Zinco panel...a fire in waiting...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

especially the one above, double tapped right at the breaker to boot! Illegal to do here.

id suggest as above, get an electrician and spend the few hundred., i have done industrial wiring and building chrome plating rectifiers from scratch, yes windings and all at the place I worked at.

3 phase is only ok when dead and grounded and bonded....... 600V isn't anything to mess with.

Back