What's new
What's new

WANTED/WTB: 3J collets, drawtube/closer

rpseguin

Stainless
I just got a 3J collet chuck (really just the nosepiece), so I’m looking for some 3J collets and, more importantly, a 3J drawtube or collet closer or to make one to fit on my Whacheon/Webb WL-435.

Drawtube material suggestions?

what size is the spindle bore / collet OD? How long does the drawtube need to be? In terms of making it a lot easier on yourself, I'd just use some low carbon DOM tube that's slightly under the necessary ID for threading. Bore out the end of the tube to the correct size, cut your thread and finish out the OD as desired then cut to length.

I just got a 3J collet chuck (really just the nosepiece), so I’m looking for some 3J collets and, more importantly, a 3J drawtube or collet closer or to make one to fit on my Whacheon/Webb WL-435.

Drawtube material suggestions?

.. before you even start.. suggest you price-out 3J collets, new, plus scout for how easily found used, and at what asking price for those in still-decent condition.

what size is the spindle bore / collet OD? How long does the drawtube need to be? In terms of making it a lot easier on yourself, I'd just use some low carbon DOM tube that's slightly under the necessary ID for threading. Bore out the end of the tube to the correct size, cut your thread and finish out the OD as desired then cut to length.

Thanks!
Spindle bore is 2.16”

3J thread is 1.988”x20TPI

.. before you even start.. suggest you price-out 3J collets, new, plus scout for how easily found used, and at what asking price for those in still-decent condition.

Yeah, I agree with your point.
I did check around and saw that 3J collets are pretty pricey new, but I also just got some good condition Hardinge ones cheap, including some emergency collets.

Yeah, I agree with your point.
I did check around and saw that 3J collets are pretty pricey new, but I also just got some good condition Hardinge ones cheap, including some emergency collets.

3j collet (17) pieces | eBay

this is pretty decent, I'd probably throw something 175-200ish at him see if he's reasonable. If you do that, refuse to pay his shipping prices, that's ridiculous. You can fit all of those in a medium flat rate box for $14.

As for making a closer.. Either get some DOM tubing that has an appropriate ID to fit the largest pieces you expect to turn and make a threaded bushing to weld onto the end for screwing onto the collet. OR, just get some 2 1/4" x 1 3/4" or a somewhat close size, seems rather hard to find something around that size though.

Option one would be the easier and likely cheaper of the two depending on if you make it yourself and what size ID tube you use. Appropriately sized tube for making it out of one piece is going to run you about $100 or so and require you to take a bit off the ID.

Give me a rough drawing of what you want and I'll price one out for you.

I have one A-2-6 and an unknown that I am trying to convert to D1-4 for my current lathe

You can expect to please a LOT of folks if you manage to do that effectively and document it well enough to be copied...

"Meanwhile, back at the spindle nose.."

Among the fastest and least-cost means of getting a decent size range of grip for working of round stock may be:

- purchase a "plate mount" ER40 and collets.

- purchase a key-operated 5C nose mount, "flat back".

Either may then be mounted to a cheap-enough A-series backplate.

OR.. gripped in a decent chuck.

4-J, preferably, so one can center it DN.

CAVEAT: BOTH of those are slow to cycle compared to a lever closer.

But... one is allowed to go make chips with them while still searching for 3J.. or any other goods!

:)

Back