Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What should I expect to pay for...

I have been having a lot of trouble getting a part for a PTO wood chipper I have, manufactured by WoodMaxx and was wondering if I should just have the part machined, and what should I expect to pay for it. Rather than try to describe it, I found an exploded diagram, what I need is part 23.

I'm not sure what the EXACT dimensions are, wont know until I get it out tomorrow, but I just want to know what to expect when I start calling local machine shops. Ballpark estimate is just fine. If location matters, my range is the Sacramento-Stockton CA corridor and foothills around that same area.

jack.jpg
    jack-2.jpg

EDIT (5/4/17 9:09AM Local Time): Additional information, posted below, just editing the main post so you don't have to read through the whole thread to get the info;

Got some measurements. The jack shaft is 15 1/2" long, 1 3/4" in diameter at it's widest point, which is between the bearings. It's all pressed together, so I'll now need to know what to expect to pay to disassemble, and reassemble the assembly. Here is a photo;

img_3494.jpg

I also made a quick video, it's clear that the shaft is what's bent. The attached parts are likely fine.

WoodMaxx WM-8M Bent JackShaft - YouTube
    Last edited by HardRooster; 05-04-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Expanded image is too small to read and too low resolution to zoom in.

3. Likes HardRooster, James H Clark liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    Expanded image is too small to read and too low resolution to zoom in.
    Lame. Shrunk my image. I edited my post with another image, zoomed in and tried again. It's better, but still a lot smaller than it was when I snapped it.

5. Likes extropic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK. Add some approximate dimensions now, or measured later. What is the HP of your PTO? Someone willing to help may have little idea of the scale/size of your equipment.

What model is your chipper? What sort of trouble are you having with WoodMaxx providing a replacement shaft?
    Looking at their site, available parts seem to be very limited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in Oakland, but there is a few gear shops in Stockton that can make that for you.
    LFW Manufacturing or Gear Enterprizes . The spline will be no problem for them. Can't guess on price- not enough detail.

8. Likes HardRooster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might get lucky and find that the spline is a PTO standard. If that's the case you might get away with buying a stub shaft and
    machining the needed features--worth checking out for sure...

10. Likes digger doug, Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

You do know that Woodmaxx stuff is made in China ?

Was the failure from abuse ? or bad material ?

What will you do to differently ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the problem is the spline being chewed up, the bad news is that you need to recut/replace the female spline as well, otherwise you're back to square 1 in short order.

Paolo

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    You do know that Woodmaxx stuff is made in China ?

Was the failure from abuse ? or bad material ?

What will you do to differently ?
    Yes, I'm aware its made in China. I bought this thing second hand and the previous owner never sized his PTO shaft and it appears the jack shaft is now bent, the evidence is a rather significant wobble of the belt pulley. Of course the pulley or taper lock might be bent, and I wont know that again until I get it apart later this morning. I may not even be able to tell as my eyeballs are my only test equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    You might get lucky and find that the spline is a PTO standard. If that's the case you might get away with buying a stub shaft and
    machining the needed features--worth checking out for sure...
    It is a standard 6 spline, 540 RPM pto size.

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo_MD View Post
    If the problem is the spline being chewed up, the bad news is that you need to recut/replace the female spline as well, otherwise you're back to square 1 in short order.

Paolo
    Nothing wrong with the spline.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got some measurements. The jack shaft is 15 1/2" long, 1 3/4" in diameter at it's widest point, which is between the bearings. It's all pressed together, so I'll now need to know what to expect to pay to disassemble, and reassemble the assembly. Here is a photo;

img_3494.jpg

I also made a quick video, it's clear that the shaft is what's bent. The attached parts are likely fine.

WoodMaxx WM-8M Bent JackShaft - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could the shaft be straightened?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that you added some more information, we could come up with more useful suggestions (still pending your disassembly).
    If the shaft is bent, likely you can can have it straightened. If the issue is in the pulley (less likely, for what I see in the video), no such luck and, likely, much more expensive repair (depending upon the parts that can be salvaged.

Paolo

17. Likes HardRooster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't think straightening could be an option, is that something a machine shop can handle?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    OK. Add some approximate dimensions now, or measured later. What is the HP of your PTO? Someone willing to help may have little idea of the scale/size of your equipment.

What model is your chipper? What sort of trouble are you having with WoodMaxx providing a replacement shaft?
    Looking at their site, available parts seem to be very limited.

Its a WM-8M, and they wont return calls, I cant get people on the phone, and yes, the limited parts selection doesn't include the part I need. I was interested in some of their other equipment, but don't think I'll be doing any more business than I must with WoodMaxx at this point.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    I'm in Oakland, but there is a few gear shops in Stockton that can make that for you.
    LFW Manufacturing or Gear Enterprizes . The spline will be no problem for them. Can't guess on price- not enough detail.
    Thanks for the referrals, I've sent each an email to get the ball rolling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is the shaft 1-3/4" between the bearings? Looks like it steps down to the spline diameter so probably a standard 1-3/8 x 6 spline.
    I thought sure that Hub City or some of the other places that sell ag style PTO parts would have a stub shaft you could use but the
    longest I could find is 10".

In my view that's a pretty poor design too. If you're actually using all 5 grooves of that pulley there's a lot of strain on the section of
    shaft that's hanging out, especially when you consider that it's stepped down in size. Moving the pulley closer to the bearing and
    getting rid of that "extra" overhang would help but a much stronger design would have been to put the pulley between the bearings.
    Less convenient when it comes time to change belts but you wouldn't have to worry about bending the shaft. If you fix this and don't
    change the design I can see it happening again...

22. Likes digger doug, HardRooster, Paolo_MD, ces224 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    Is the shaft 1-3/4" between the bearings? Looks like it steps down to the spline diameter so probably a standard 1-3/8 x 6 spline.
    I thought sure that Hub City or some of the other places that sell ag style PTO parts would have a stub shaft you could use but the
    longest I could find is 10".

In my view that's a pretty poor design too. If you're actually using all 5 grooves of that pulley there's a lot of strain on the section of
    shaft that's hanging out, especially when you consider that it's stepped down in size. Moving the pulley closer to the bearing and
    getting rid of that "extra" overhang would help but a much stronger design would have been to put the pulley between the bearings.
    Less convenient when it comes time to change belts but you wouldn't have to worry about bending the shaft. If you fix this and don't
    change the design I can see it happening again...
    Moving the pulley closer to the bearing would mess up the alignment with the top shaft, moving the bearing closer to the pulley looks feasible, but it would only make it about 1/2" to 1" closer. Not sure there is a lot to be gained there, but then again, that's not my area of expertise.

I believe the shaft was bent by a PTO shaft that was improperly sized. Raise the hydraulics on the tractor, shaft gets shorter until it bottoms out, then something has to bend. In this case, it appears the jack shaft bent. I think this is relatively common with people who don't know how to set up their PTO shafts.

I have sized my PTO shaft appropriately, so hopefully this will be the last time this is an issue. The 5 belts helps to spread the strain around, they don't have to be super tight, and it's only spinning at 540 RPM, plus the blade flywheel is 200lbs so there is no jerking and sudden movements on the assembly. Other than the wobble, it's a smooth operating machine, and my 32HP tractor has plenty of power not to bog down, and also not overpower the machine. (Machine is designed for up to 40 or 50 HP IIRC, minimum of 20HP)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's the resident "Flame shaft straightener" guy....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Where's the resident "Flame shaft straightener" guy....?
    Do you refer to Keith Fenner (Turn Wright Machine Works)? I don't thing he is on this forum. And, anyhow, he is in the opposite side of the Country).

Paolo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Throwing a WAG here, probably in the range of $200 to have this made. If this makes your but* pucker, move on and buy it from the manufacturer....