What's new
What's new

Where to buy HSS 1/4" external treading bits??

Pre-ground 1/4" HS tool bits were sold in sets of five or six different shapes for use on little home shop lathes back in the 1950's and 1960's. They were strictly for beginners. I don't think I have seen any in recent years. In 8th grade and high school shop classes, the first part of metal lathe instruction was grinding a tool bit.

If you are serious, find a local tool grinding shop and give them a drawing of the geometry you want.

Larry

Buy yourself a grinder, get some white aluminum oxide wheels (Norton 32A is good), one 46 grit and one 80 grit and learn how to grind them yourself. The wheels that normally come on grinders are for things like mower blades and won't do a good job on high-speed steel.

There are plenty of youtube videos on grinding tool bits (start with tubalcain's videos).

Try finding a grinder that takes at least 7" wheels, because the wheels you need are hard to find in 6". The 3/4 hp Craftsman is actually a pretty good grinder and can be had for a lot less than a Baldor.

If you need to rely on pre-ground bits, you will never learn anything.

Besides, if you buy pre-ground bits, how are you going to re-sharpen them? You'll need a grinder anyway.

Steve

It is really hard to get a threading tool geometry right with a bench grinder. I know, I did it for years, but after getting a proper Baldor with tilting tables and protractors, it's a piece of cake. Make the investment, you won't regret it.

Call me lazy, but after dealing with Warner to solve a problem part carbide was destroying me $$ wise, I rarely grind my own HSS any more.
If you don't see an insert online that matches your tooling, call them, they may have it anyway

Back