What's new
What's new

WTB: .0001" dial test indicator

I have what I thought was a perfect Federal indicator.
Its in perfect un marked condition. But the crystal fell off when I opened the box. I pressed it back into place but it seems loose.
How about $50 shipped.

20210224_124606.jpg

20210224_124613.jpg

20210224_124624.jpg

Spend some money on an Interrapid. You won't be sorry and you will have it for life. I still have 2 from over 30 years ago.

BesTest are pretty damn good indicators too. I'd say on par with Federal. At least the old ones... Not sure how the modern stuff is, mine are all old. Compac, Interapid, Alina, Tesa, Mahr, all are great. (Older ones, again, not sure about the newest stuff).

A Bestest over a Federal ? uhhh, yeah.

Shoulda coulda woulda but ...

"Federal Gage made the worst test indicator you could get stuck with. Blobs of solder were used to hold it together. Mercifully these have been discontinued. The last models named Testmaster were made by Tesa in Switzerland and they're identical to Bestest indicators (see above). These are no longer available from Federal, but you can still buy the Bestest equivalent. The newest indicators are called MarTest (see Mahr-Federal).

Repairs: no longer possible"

Test Indicator Brand Comparison

Yeah, well Long Island Indicator can no longer repair the best indicator ever built, either. I have never seen anything that compared to an Alina, and they came up with that same "can't repair" schtick. So much for Long Island.

I'm glad you can read a website, but having owned quite a few different indicators, even a few Last Words, the Federals worked as good as the rest. And their bore gauges were better than most. As mentioned before, the only indicator that stood head and shoulders above the crowd was my beloved bigdial longpointer tenths-reading longtravel Alina. $75 new. That was an indicator.

(And if they were really rebranded Compacs, why couldn't the wizards at Long Island use Compac parts to fix one ?)

(And if they were really rebranded Compacs, why couldn't the wizards at Long Island use Compac parts to fix one ?)

Probably because they stopped making them in the '60's. The Compacs from the same time period that they were rebranded from probably can no longer be repaired either.

The solder blob anecdote may be accurate for certain past Federal indicators, but they made some very nice ones also. Today I believe the brand is merged with Mahr.

Speaking of Federal, I ran across this some time ago, pretty cute.

Ode to Precision

Oh, an indicator is a vindicator
Of truth and common knowledge.
For it teaches more, and faster too,
Than an Engineering College.

How long is this? How short is that?
To what degree is this piece flat?
How thick is the paper in the pile?
Look for your answer on the dial.

For we've put jewels within the case,
And stamped our name across the face,
So you'll remember through the years,
That Federal always hobs their gears.

Our top and bottom place construction
Always has defied destruction,
And we speak of low friction
As the utmost in perfection.

For, an indicator is a vindicator
Of truth and common knowledge.
For it teaches more, and faster too,
Than an Engineering College.

--Leonard C. Tingley, Federal Products Corp

A Bestest over a Federal ? uhhh, yeah.

Shoulda coulda woulda but ...

I'm going to say this nicely as I can. You COULD have come in here a couple days ago and given some advice and I might have listened. You didn't. Instead you came in after the fact to $#!+ on my decision and make yourself feel superior. Good for you. Now go back under your bridge.

The truth is I'm a HSM. Its just a hobby for me. I'm sure ANY of these indicators will be better than the 25 year old import POS I have now.

I don't know ANYONE that does machining. Professional or Hobby. Period. If it wasn't for the internet I probably wouldn't be doing it at all.

You should go read Forrest Addy's posts. I've learned more about manual machining from reading his posts than probably any other source. He could tell a story, keep you interested and not insult the reader at the same time.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your insight. I actually looked at a Compac but decided against it based on LII review (lack of repair parts).

Chris

Probably because they stopped making them in the '60's. The Compacs from the same time period that they were rebranded from probably can no longer be repaired either.

The solder blob anecdote may be accurate for certain past Federal indicators, but they made some very nice ones also. Today I believe the brand is merged with Mahr.

Speaking of Federal, I ran across this some time ago, pretty cute.

Back