What's new
What's new

Wtb 1/2 & 3/8 lathe chuck keys

Looking for a USA made pair.

Ummh.. back East, at least... both of THOSE sizes are same as dirt-common socket-wrench handles, any of many types and finish, US-made or otherwise.

It's the Metrifuckaterated ones as are the b***dy nuisance.

DIY only needs a length of "keystock" from "the usual suspects", Fastenal included, and VERY little effort.

You do not WANT the wrench to outlast the screw sockets in the chuck. They are WAY more work and expense to replace.

The wrench tip should be the "consumable" player in that pairing as to wear or damage.

Meaning Shars, CDCO, H&H Industrial imported ones are actually just about right.

Tearing those up? Helpless chuck should fear for its life, you get aholt of too GOOD of a key!

2CW

Good point. I was hopping someone had a couple od spares lying around. I see the made in India one on flea bay , maybe that's the go.

Good point. I was hopping someone had a couple od spares lying around. I see the made in India one on flea bay , maybe that's the go.

H&H, CDCO, Shars.. ebay? Have FOUR-WAY ones. One a US collection of tips, one a Metric collection..

And then .... go make yerself BETTER bespoke ones, some other time later-on as are easier to grab and use.

I bought keystock off the local Fastenal. Some of every size they had.
Useful stuff to have around, regardless.

I basically HAVE the wrenches as came with easily half if not more of my many chucks.

MOST are also out of production, even if the makers are not, and MOST of the makers actually are gone as well. The LAST thing I want is a key that buggers the screw in any one of those chucks.

Ever I run out of more important stuff to do, I'd cut short bits off keystock as replaceable tips to a modified or DIY shank and handle, no more DIY involved than I could possibly avoid.

Lazy, Iyam.

Last edited:

Back