What's new
What's new

Wtb: 12" machinist level

Mootsman

Plastic
Good afternoon all.

Looking for a Starrett 98-12 or similar. If it comes in it's own case, that's a big plus.

I've looked around on ebay but wanted to try here as well.

Trying to level my (new to me) Hercules Ajax 18.

Thanks in advance.

Hobbs

Good afternoon all.

Looking for a Starrett 98-12 or similar. If it comes in it's own case, that's a big plus.

I've looked around on ebay but wanted to try here as well.

Trying to level my (new to me) Hercules Ajax 18.

Thanks in advance.

Hobbs

I can get you a brand new one for 233 plus shipping.

Hi Moots,

Just my 2¢: I would use a precision level good for .0005" per foot or equivalent metric to level a lathe. Don't be too concerned about brand. With levels you can self calibrate and you're doing comparative measurement anyway to level a lathe.

I was looking for a Starrett 199 and stumbled across a Schultes 15" for $50. It's every bit as good as a used Starret for 1/5 what they were going for at the time. You could use an import one as well successfully. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Precision Levels

We make a precision level, been selling them mostly to woodworkers to level their sliding table saws, but they are accurate to .001" per foot, not quite as good as a Starrett 199, but about four times more accurate than the Starrett 98. It is 16" long however, so if you can't use the extra length, it's not the one for you.

fullsizeoutput_af2.jpgfullsizeoutput_af1.jpg

Hi Moots,

Just my 2¢: I would use a precision level good for .0005" per foot or equivalent metric to level a lathe. Don't be too concerned about brand. With levels you can self calibrate and you're doing comparative measurement anyway to level a lathe.

I was looking for a Starrett 199 and stumbled across a Schultes 15" for $50. It's every bit as good as a used Starret for 1/5 what they were going for at the time. You could use an import one as well successfully. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Bob

Thanks for the suggestion. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. The starret 98's pop up on ebay alot so that's what i gravitated towards.

I'll look into the Schlutes and some of the imports.

Thanks again!

We make a precision level, been selling them mostly to woodworkers to level their sliding table saws, but they are accurate to .001" per foot, not quite as good as a Starrett 199, but about four times more accurate than the Starrett 98. It is 16" long however, so if you can't use the extra length, it's not the one for you.

View attachment 256523View attachment 256524

Brian

Thanks for the suggestion - that one is a bit large for my needs currently but will surely be an option in the future as my machine collection grows!

Mold God

Still looking. Trying to find something in the “used but reliable” category.

Please let me know what you have available.

Thanks
Shawn

Could not put photos in PM, here they are.

Attachments

• 12-4.jpg
    12-4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 12-3.jpg
    12-3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 12-1.jpg
    12-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 65
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg