What's new
What's new

WTB: 2 1/8x8 threaded chuck/back-plates

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
Looking for some spindle options for a lathe I just picked up. It uses a 2 1/8 x 8 threaded spindle and is a 14" swing (closer to 15"). All I have right now is a 3 jaw chuck, so I'd like to find a 4 jaw chuck and any back plates from 8" to 14" diameter that are out there. Maybe even a collet chuck of some kind.

Of course I can and likely will need to make or adapt the back plates, just wondering if anyone has something laying around. Old beat-up stuff that needs a little love would be fine.

My twenty-first edition of MHB has all specs for both 2 1/8-8 UN and former American Standard 2 1/8-8 N

Be interesting to make one of the earlier and see if it fit your one and only chuck - or not. You have to assume WB did whatever they wanted with possibly no consideration at all for standards if any were in place then. After all, they were not interested in their spindle nose fitting something they did not make for it

The MHB stuff includes both Class 2 and Class 3

Looking for some spindle options for a lathe I just picked up. It uses a 2 1/8 x 8 threaded spindle and is a 14" swing (closer to 15"). All I have right now is a 3 jaw chuck, so I'd like to find a 4 jaw chuck and any back plates from 8" to 14" diameter that are out there. Maybe even a collet chuck of some kind.

Of course I can and likely will need to make or adapt the back plates, just wondering if anyone has something laying around. Old beat-up stuff that needs a little love would be fine.

Wow! Someone else out there with the dreaded 2 1/8 x 8 spindle. I picked up an Artisan lathe over the summer with that very thread. It came with a threaded adapter but no chucks. It also has a 5mt short bore. But is not the same gage-line as my Sheldon. So I'll have to make the adapters for it when the time comes.

I'll be interested if you find a source for adapters or fixtures with that thread. Good luck.

Best Regards,
Bob

I have an 8 1/2” diameter face plate with that thread.
Send me an email if you are interested.
Ted
[email protected]

Wow! Someone else out there with the dreaded 2 1/8 x 8 spindle. I picked up an Artisan lathe over the summer with that very thread. It came with a threaded adapter but no chucks. It also has a 5mt short bore. But is not the same gage-line as my Sheldon. So I'll have to make the adapters for it when the time comes.

I'll be interested if you find a source for adapters or fixtures with that thread. Good luck.

Best Regards,
Bob

Yep it's an odd one. I have some raw 5" round cast iron discs with a shoulder that might turn into decent adapters. If (when) I end up making them, I'll post the specs on here.

i have 2 of these 11x24 artisan gap lathes one is converted to a treadmill motor an electronics (variable speed, forward and reverse. i can post pics if interested. anyone know anything about bearing replacement?

i have 2 of these 11x24 artisan gap lathes one is converted to a treadmill motor an electronics (variable speed, forward and reverse. i can post pics if interested. anyone know anything about bearing replacement?

Not sure about your bearings, but you'll get better results starting a new thread.

Back