What's new
What's new

WTB: 24”x36” cast iron surface plate, SF bay area

jwearing

Hot Rolled
I want to buy a 24x36 surface plate. Sorry to be picky but I have specific requirements:

Must be iron. Yes I agree granite is wonderful, I already have granite, and now I want iron for a scraping project.

Must be 24x36.

Must be well ribbed, a Brown and Sharpe or similar would be ideal.

Must be in good condition, no holes or welds or giant dents. Light rust is ok.

I’m located in Milpitas, CA. I might also be able to pick up in Albuquerque in a couple months.

Not sure of the exact size but Bob Rowe at Rowe Machinery in Santa Cruz had a looks like 12" or 18" x 36" that has been sitting on the shelf there forever.

No clue if it's still there the virus has kept me away for a while. It was about 12" tall with huge ribs on the bottom and those two big handle things on the ends for lifting with I assume a crane, it must weigh a ton. Looks to be a really nice item but I have never climbed up on the shelf and removed the cover to see what shape the surface is in.

Can't hurt to give him a call. (831) 458-9181 at just ask for him.

I have an ~18x24 plate if you decide you'd like a smaller option. It's been blanchard ground, from memory was flat and parallel within ~.001".

Scraping my 8x12 plate was fun. I wish I had the patience to do the larger one but it's just not going to happen.

Thanks for the responses, guys. 18x24, 18x36 sound like really useful sizes but I'm afraid they won't work for me here. I'll give Bob Rowe a call.

Otherbrother on PM has a 30” x 36” cast iron plate and stand for sale on Craigslist Flint MI. Might be too far, but having bought from him in the past, he’s someone I’d recommend.

L7

I have a nice 24" x 36" surface plate that I would sell if you do not find what you are looking for.

I had plans to someday rescrape it, but I will never get around to it. I don't use it for much anymore other than when I need to assemble or disassemble something that is precise.

No idea what freight would run you...

Back