What's new
What's new

WTB: 3/4" Hex Push Broach

red beard

Cast Iron
I've got a job coming up where I need to make some nylon bushings with a 3/4" hex bore. I'm looking for a reasonably priced used push broach (like you would use with an arbor press). I don't really want to spend $400 on a new one for 50 parts, so I was hoping someone here might have a used one sitting around gathering dust.

While I have not done the chore you have coming up, my first thought would be that a push broach would not be very effective on a soft material like Nylon..but as I said, I've never done it. I've included a link to what appears to be a more reasonably priced broach.

Stuart

https://www.msdiscounttool.com/cata...5rYVcfbZPNFJHd4rGkj9iTKevNqlhNM4aAoDFEALw_wcB

Thanks Stuart,
That's a much better price than what I've been finding from my usual suppliers. I will probably go ahead and get that one.

I've never used a hex broach in Nylon, but I have used keyway broaches. It worked fine as long as you kept it straight. I guess I will find out if a hex broach will work as well.

The high school robotics team I help mentor uses a lot of stuff with hex axles and bearings, wheels, sprockets, etc with matching hex bores. I can tell you a hex broach goes through PVC like butter (decently sharp broach), and would presume most varieties of nylon would work about the same. Biggest aggravation of that particular job was using their shop's little hydraulic press with less than 4" of travel for a broach about 12" long.

Rotary broaches are great, but there's a serious depth limitation! If you have a 3/4" hex bore more than about 3/4" deep, a rotary broach is probably not the right tool for the job.

Rotary broaches are great, but there's a serious depth limitation! If you have a 3/4" hex bore more than about 3/4" deep, a rotary broach is probably not the right tool for the job.

Yes, I had looked at rotary broaches, but these bushings are about 1.5" long. I didn't think they would work well that deep. That's why I decided to go with the push broach.

I had to do a bunch of one inch hexes in Delrin with a push broach,no problem.
Had to do some 20mm hexes a little while ago and didn't have a broach.One of my shop mates made a guide and routed them,came out fine and was quick(also in Delrin).

Just use a push broach with a aluminum back up washer on the bottom of the stack, should reduce the crushing for the plastic on the bottom...Phil

Back