What's new
What's new

WTB: 36" -48" vernier caliper in decent condition

rklopp

Diamond
Anyone have a big caliper gathering dust? I prefer old-school vernier, since it won't be needed but a couple times a year, and I don't want electronics dying while sitting. I am scared of dial calipers that long, due to risk of jumping the pinion on the rack. BTDT on 6" calipers. I'd even consider mainland Asia product if decent. Engraved ID nos. or names are OK - I am not looking for a pristine collectable, as long as it is not beat, bent, etc.

PM me if you have something.

Thanks!

RKlopp

Our local bearing supply has some tools from a retiring machinist in on consignment, I saw a nice name brand 42"? caliper, seemed in great shape and I think asking somewhere around $300-$350 IIRC. Dont remember brand but can find out more if you like. Or get you the ph#.

Rich - Have a 40" Mitutoyo vernier (#534-120) with 7.8" deep jaws, hardened stainless, that I'm not using. Wood case is a bit beat up, but the caliper is nice. Haven't used it in a while -- and we're sort of local to each other. (PM sent)

A 36" height guage?
Not seen one of those before!

What's one of those worth?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Local machinery place to me had a 96" vernier, I believe Scherr-Tumico in a wood box in great condition. It is usually in up in their long term storage as it takes up a lot of space and I would imagine it's not a hot selling item. If you want to ask about it give them a call. Ask for Bob Rowe at Rowe Machinery (831) 458-9181.

I thought I had pictures of it somewhere. If I can find them I will attach them to my post.

Paul.

EDIT: Found the pictures.
20181102_144400.jpg

20181102_144410.jpg

20181102_144419.jpg

look for a less old one . the early starrets and b+s and helios had crummy 25 index
verniers . difficult to read at best. early '70s came the 50 grads vernier. a world
of difference . best deal is an 'off' jap brand . Kanon, NSK(sometimes fowler/SPI)
peacock/teclock...whatever. tumico and helios are another bag of worms that sell for
chump change as well.

i have a 36" Kanon . i drag it out about once a month. but it's there when i need
it . and just having it and knowing that it's there if i need it....makes all the
difference.

A 36" height guage?
Not seen one of those before!

What's one of those worth?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

36" more common than you might think. Seem prominent in aerospace, all the big billet stuff. Now big buck shops have CMM's.
I have a Starrett 254, and where I worked has a Pacific. Big height gauges = bigger surface plates!

I've got "bigger surface plate(s)"

Doo I need a biggerer height guage? :o

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back