What's new
What's new

Wtb

Browning1932

Plastic
WTB 3 or 4 jaw Chuck for a Pratt and Whitney 10x20 bench lathe

Want to purchase a 3 or 4 jaw Chuck that fits a 10x20 Pratt and Whitney bench lathe. It's a 5pn collet machine that uses cam lock D 1-2"

Last edited:
What size chuck? I just got a 8" 3 jaw that I will be putting up for sale. Its marked poland and PUTm-S8ZD. Some research leads some people to say its a bison before they called them selves bison, but I dont know. BUT it doesnt have a back plate on it so you would need to get something.

that uses cam lock D 1-2"

I have seen exactly ONE piece of D1-2" tooling, and that was in a box of junk from the plant that made the lathe in the opening post

The way to get such a back plate is to make one. Nicely detailed in ASA/ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses

I have seen exactly ONE piece of D1-2" tooling, and that was in a box of junk from the plant that made the lathe in the opening post

The way to get such a back plate is to make one. Nicely detailed in ASA/ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses

Your reference is the second I've heard of. The first was advertised as a D1-3 and it wasn't.

That's what everyone seems too be saying. Thanks for the lead on the schematic.

Better-yet? Find a CNC shop that can get them "right", and make a DOZEN.

The metal is the cheap part. Should be able to recover the full cost of your own with sales of the surplus.

D1-2 backpltes are SCARCE!

Except for the fasteners. Macit list them - so have a care to drill and tap the backplates in US or "inch" sizes, not metric!

The stud is on the right:

MacIt - Catalog

The cam for the spindle is on the left:

MacIt - Catalog

The metal is the cheap part. Should be able to recover the full cost of your own with sales of the surplus.

Except for the fasteners. Macit list them - so have a care to drill and tap the backplates in US or "inch" sizes, not metric!

MacIt - Catalog

MacIt - Catalog

huh.. you actually came up with something useful, holy crap! looks like a good source

looks like a good source

Mac-It goods are first-class, ordering was painless. Given how long the studs last, they may even be the ONLY source, all others just reselling?

I keep one set of spare camlocks for my D1-3 goods - those are wot they are, no US or metric diff.

For the studs I stash a set of Mac-it in US, a set of Shars in Metric.

Used goods often come without studs... so...

Mac-It goods are first-class, ordering was painless. Given how long the studs last, they may even be the ONLY source, all others just reselling?

I keep one set of spare camlocks for my D1-3 goods - those are wot they are, no US or metric diff.

Awesome thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction

See any DETENT PLUNGERS in Machit? D1-2" uses 11/32" dia spring loaded details to manage cams

MacIt - Catalog

MacIt - Catalog

Thank you thermite for such a good source for these parts! :cheers:

Are they US or metric? I did not see a description of the threads on the site.

I was surprised to not see the #4 cam screws listed (or #2), seems they have all other sizes?

As said, Mack-it are US. As usual.be happy. US threads are stronger than the Metric equivalents.

Scarce as D1-2, is, I doubt you will run into Metric threaded studs or rotation-limiting anchors as we do on D1-3 and larger.

The anchors/detents are ordinary hex-head capscrews.

There's spring involved for the in-spindle cams. They don't seem to break or wear-out. I've not seen them listed?

Back