What's new
What's new

Wtb 3c collet draw nut

challenger

Stainless
I have a bunch of 3C collets and I want to make a square and a hex collet block to use on the milling machine. I can (maybe) make a draw nut but figured someone here might have one available.
Id be happy to trade some of the extra collets I have as well. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

You are unlikely to find one of these - when I made up a set of 3C blocks, I had to make my own. Hint: knurling the OD isn't good enough.

Mine wound up with vise grip marks on it eventually. I've since gifted the set away.

Hardinge made a 3C square collet block, draw bar and V-block base to mount on the beds of their 7" swing Cataract lathes. The draw bar had a large handwheel. The block had male threads with a pair of knurled lock rings to make fine adjustments to the depth of cut. If you mount a screw slotting saw in the lathe spindle, you can quickly and accurately slot screw heads. You can also mill squares on the ends of shafts. This is a very rare attachment and I have only seen one example. Picture from the 1907 Cataract catalog.

A few decades later, Louis Levin and Son made a very similar device with the square block to hold 8 and 10 mm watch lathe collets for their 100 mm swing watch lathes. I have used mine to slot small screws and it works great. These are scarce, but turn up on eBay fairly often, bringing very high prices. Pictures from Levin 1954 catalog.

Larry

DSC02575 (2).jpg DSC02153.jpg DSC02576.jpg DSC02577.jpg

Back