What's new
What's new

WTB: 4 jaw, 5c mount chuck - prefer nothing Chinese...

He's asking for one with a 5C mount on the back, not one that mounts to a spindle with threads or a camlock.

They can be used on things like spin indexers that take 5C collets.

Steve

Ah I see Im dumb. My reading comprehension skills may need some fine tuning.

I have to ask the question, "Why not Chinese, it is a 4 jaw?" They work just fine, I use one permanently mounted in my spin indexer. It is very handy.

San Ou work just fine in 4-J. Accuracy is up to the user.

I spend more in a single WEEK on Pall Mall's than I do in ten years on the cheap little San Ou.

Lowly 5C back of it? Why would yah try to gold-plate THAT? .... When the chuck has independent jaws. Or damned well SHOULD have!

Want something more precise? Even self-centering or SIX jaw?

Phone or email "Jules Borel" your needs:

About Us | Jules Borel & Co.

They know their Swiss and German suppliers, learnt to speak English a long time ago, and are in a convenient time-zone, even for a resident of Tax-a-two-shits.

:)

WTB: 4 jaw, 5c mount chuck - prefer nothing Chinese...

Thanks

Ray

Want something more precise? Even self-centering or SIX jaw?

Phone or email "Jules Borel" your needs:

About Us | Jules Borel & Co.

They know their Swiss and German suppliers, learnt to speak English a long time ago, and are in a convenient time-zone, even for a resident of Tax-a-two-shits.

The Op needs to indicate a budget or "target price".

Hi All,

Thanks,

the 'prefer nothing Chinese' comment is because I am not a big fan of supporting their economy, and in general, most stuff is really poorly made.

Target price is really what I think is fair for something used, I won't spend $400 for this, but I would spend more for a Buck than say the garden variety Chines import.

I am looking for 4 jaw independent, would also like a 6 jaw - but I gotta think these are not very available.

Thanks

Ray

Hi All,

Thanks,

the 'prefer nothing Chinese' comment is because I am not a big fan of supporting their economy, and in general, most stuff is really poorly made.

Target price is really what I think is fair for something used, I won't spend $400 for this, but I would spend more for a Buck than say the garden variety Chines import.

I am looking for 4 jaw independent, would also like a 6 jaw - but I gotta think these are not very available.

Thanks

Ray

One Buck-$400

I think you need to be a bit more specific to get specific help.

Perhaps I missed something, but I was hoping to find something used, which is why I was not specific, not sure if / what folks had laying around not being used...

I just went and looked at MSC, not much there and given what it is, I am not interested...

Thanks

Ray

Perhaps I missed something, but I was hoping to find something used, which is why I was not specific, not sure if / what folks had laying around not being used...
Yah use 'em or yah do not, so "laying around" waits my being a little closer to KNOWING I'm serious close to dying.

I just went and looked at MSC, not much there and given what it is, I am not interested...

Thanks

Ray

If I'm to buy Chinese, I prefer to buy FROM Chinese who at least know whom and what they are dealing with. Got mine here:

5C MOUNT 4" 4-JAW INDEPENDENT LATHE CHUCK (3900-4713)

Flat-back, not 5C, so around $90, a few years of inflation ago.

Used chucks are like used Ladies. Bit of a dice-roll, wrapped in mystery, and with usually one - if not more than one - prior partner as was glad to see them gone - whether that was from failing to hold true, sloppy grip, or too high a scrap rate....

I have a NIB Sherline 1045 5C shank with 3.1" 4-jaw, bought years ago from MSC. The shank and body is all one piece of steel. It looks to be very well made, but it is still sealed in the plastic bag, so I have never tried it out. Price $135 including USA shipping.

5C 3.1″ 4-Jaw Independent Chuck – Sherline Products
https://www.sherline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1045inst.pdf

I have several nice used USA-made small 4-jaw chucks with cast iron bodies and various thread mounts. I also have some unused 5C fixture mounts and Hardinge plug chucks that can be turned and threaded to fit any of those chucks.

The reason I never used the 4-jaw is that I use a pair of Buck 4" 6-jaws on 5C shanks. Two chucks because I hate to swap 6 jaws for inside and outside work. I use those chucks a lot for little stuff that does not work in collets. They are Ajust-Tru, so runout is not an issue.

Larry

Back