What's new
What's new

WTB: 45 taper 7/8 face mill holder

leeko

Stainless
Hi
does anyone have a 45 taper (Cat45, bt45, nmtb45) face mill holder with a 7/8" pilot they'd like to part with? Not finding many sources for that size. Hardinge lists them, but out of stock and I dont want to think about what they charge...

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I can't help, but I can sympathize. 45 taper? Very rare, at least in my 30/40/50 world. Shell/face mill arbor with 7/8" pilot? Very rare. Both at the same time? Ouch.

If you score a 45 taper arbor with a 1" pilot, you could probably rework it, grinding the pilot and driving dogs down to the 7/8" size.

It'd be a good first project on the tool and cutter grinder :)

It's not time critical at all - I just have a nice 2.5" Ingersoll facemill currently on a 50 taper holder, I'm trying to switch all my most used cutters over to the Weldon quick change system. Any 45 taper can be adapted fairly easily now that I made a quick fixture for it, so I figured I'd put out feelers for the one I'm missing :)

Thanks

Lee

FWIW I made an extended reach arbor out of a long endmill holder. I milled the end to create the drivers. Then made a plug with endmill flats, .001 oversize for the hole. Pressed the plug in, installed the setscrews, then finished the plug to size and tapped it for the bolt. Works fine.

And yeah, 7/8 in 45 taper will be tough.

Hi Ken,
I'll measure again when I get back home - after seeing how scarce the 7/8” size is, I'm now wondering the same..

Thanks

Lee

I have a pile of CAT45 tooling, will look to see if I have anything you can use. CAT45 was used in the 1980-90s for Cincinnati CNC mills. Perhaps exclusively.

Thanks! I may also be on the lookout for some bigger face mill holders. Off the top of my head, I think a 2" pilot is on the "would be nice" list as well :)
I won't be back at the shop till Thursday to check though :(

I have a pile of CAT45 tooling, will look to see if I have anything you can use. CAT45 was used in the 1980-90s for Cincinnati CNC mills. Perhaps exclusively.

I need some 3/4" shell mill arbors if you have some to spare. Cat 45 was also used by Monarch and Acra.

CAT45 and BT45 is not all that uncommon. I have a couple that size in BT45, but I'm not selling any.

I've seen alot of 80's machines running BT45. I know of 3 shops around me that use machines with it. My MV45 Mori has both BT45 and CAT45 tool grabbers so I could switch over to CAT if I wanted, but I have a truckload of BT tooling.

Not super uncommon, no. I picked up a few lots of holders a while back, but ilmy.collection is light on face/shell mill holders. I have quite a few surplus extended reach endmills holders and tg100 collet chucks , as well as a few other oddball holders, if anyone's looking to swap for shell mill holders :)

Lee

Turns out I have two face mill holders, but they are 1.250 and 1.500 dia. pilots. If anyone needs one or both, or any CAT45 tooling, let me know. Lots of collet holders and long reach holders. Cheaper by the dozen. Some have Cincinnati closing pins. I even have an unused 2 inch end mill holder.

I'd be up for grabbing the 1.25 face mill holder, 2" end mill holder, if the collet holders are anything other than tg100 I might be interested (tg75? ER series?), A boring head holder of you have one, and maybe other oddballs depending what you have. I think I'm good on extended reach endmill holders and tg100 collet holders :)

Thanks!

Lee

I found some ACURAFLEX collet holders, two sizes, even. Here also are the others we spoke about. The two inch end mill holder has a V-groove style tool change collar.

Attachments

• DSCN2206.jpg
    DSCN2206.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2205.jpg
    DSCN2205.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN2204.jpg
    DSCN2204.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN2287.jpg
    DSCN2287.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN2288.jpg
    DSCN2288.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for digging out the pictures. I'm not looking to start working with acuraflex - I have enough collet systems in the shop. I also dug through.my stash, and found a 2" holder I already have, so I think I'll pass on these. They're up for grabs to anyone else that wants them

Thanks again

Lee

Back