What's new
What's new

WTB 5C collet adapter for 13" colchester

Sea Sick Steve

Cast Iron
I am looking for a 5C collet adapter to be used with a lever drawbar. The adapter needs to fit a 13" Colchester 800 series lathe with a d1-4 spindle. The big end of the spindle bore taper is 1.770". The adapter I have with the drawbar kit is only 1.675. I think this is a MT5 taper PM me if you have something that will fit

Here is a suggestion I applied to myself maybe 10 or 15 years ago and is still applicable today but at a significantly higher cost fir some reason.

Go to Grizzly.com and look for a lathe with similar characteristics to yours. If it comes with a collet closer, you can buy the part you need by clicking on the list of "parts". You'll see an exploded view of the parts and a list with prices. If you don't find a lathe with a collet closer, look for a collet closer on its own, and buy the part.

When I did this fir my 12x36 "unmentionable", I paid either $25 or $30, can't remember exactly. I believe the prices today are on the order of $100 more. But it's available. I actually saw that part on eBay a week or 2 ago and told a friend to bid on it for himself. I think it went for about $90 or $100.

Good luck

Jacques

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Here is a suggestion I applied to myself maybe 10 or 15 years ago and is still applicable today but at a significantly higher cost fir some reason.

Go to Grizzly.com and look for a lathe with similar characteristics to yours. If it comes with a collet closer, you can buy the part you need by clicking on the list of "parts". You'll see an exploded view of the parts and a list with prices. If you don't find a lathe with a collet closer, look for a collet closer on its own, and buy the part.

When I did this fir my 12x36 "unmentionable", I paid either $25 or $30, can't remember exactly. I believe the prices today are on the order of $100 more. But it's available. I actually saw that part on eBay a week or 2 ago and told a friend to bid on it for himself. I think it went for about $90 or $100.

Good luck

Jacques

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

LOL This unit came off of a Taiwanese clone of a 13 " Colchester I assumed it was the same but the spindle taper is a little bigger I believe that it is the same taper but just a bit deeper in the Colchester spindle. I suppose I could turn or more likely grind a bit off the back of the flange of the spindle adapter I have but I would prefer to find the right one

I am looking for a 5C collet adapter to be used with a lever drawbar. The adapter needs to fit a 13" Colchester 800 series lathe with a d1-4 spindle. The big end of the spindle bore taper is 1.770". The adapter I have with the drawbar kit is only 1.675. I think this is a MT5 taper PM me if you have something that will fit

I have 2 different brands of collet sleeves for #5MT and they both measure 1.757” at the large end...:confused:
Ted

Is this what you need? I bought it for my 5MT spindle but it was a hair too large. Measures about 1.775 at the big end. It's a Royal brand with an "N" marking. No guarantees on fitment but I can take better measurements if you want. How about $50 shipped?

Attachments

• IMG_3511.jpg
    IMG_3511.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3515.jpg
    IMG_3515.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 24
Is this what you need? I bought it for my 5MT spindle but it was a hair too large. Measures about 1.775 at the big end. It's a Royal brand with an "N" marking. No guarantees on fitment but I can take better measurements if you want. How about $50 shipped?

Yes I will take this Thanks for taking measurements and pics Looks like the part I need Sent a PM

Back