What's new
What's new

WTB 8" backing plate

Adrianboomer

Plastic
I am looking for an 8" backing plate for my 12"Hendey. I am hoping there is someone here who does blanks or who has plates in stock. My little lathe doesn't have the capacity to to the threading but once I have that, I can do the machining myself.

The spindle is 2" 8 TPI undercut by 25,000.

Thank you kindly! I really appreciate the help.

So it sounds like you're trying to get the Hendey set up with a new/different chuck and you need to fit a back plate but your only other machine isn't big enough to thread this.

What if anything do you have with the Hendey? A face plate? A four jaw chuck? Anything at all?

The Lathe didn't come with tooling or chucks, faceplates etc. It was a rescue. I rebuilt it and now Im working out the chuck etc. I have 3 jaw without a backing plate. I know how important it is to do the work on the machine its going to be run on but I am stuck. It was my hope to find an 8" with an undersized bore that can be modded or find a source that can get me close. I thought once the threading was complete, I could true it up and fit it on the Hendey...... But I am no expert. Thank you for the help!

The Lathe didn't come with tooling or chucks, faceplates etc. It was a rescue. I rebuilt it and now Im working out the chuck etc. I have 3 jaw without a backing plate. I know how important it is to do the work on the machine its going to be run on but I am stuck. It was my hope to find an 8" with an undersized bore that can be modded or find a source that can get me close. I thought once the threading was complete, I could true it up and fit it on the Hendey...... But I am no expert. Thank you for the help!

Certainly your easiest path is finding the right backplate. However, there would be ways to make up a temporary faceplate that would then let you machine and fit the backplate you need. Speak up if you need more detailed advice.

I was going to suggest a slightly different strategy with the nut. Weld a round plate to it to serve as a temporary face plate, mount it up on the Hendey and face it off. Then he can bolt the backplate face-to-face and machine the internal threads. If he isn't familiar with thread wires, now is the time to learn. His tiny lathe is probably capable of turning 8 tpi and making up a dummy to test the backplate threads. Alternatively, unscrew the nut/backplate assembly, reverse, and try it on the spindle itself with reasonable expectation that when threaded back on, the nut will stop at a repeatable spot.

I am learning a lot here. I appreciate the discussion on this, so thank you. I will consider all these options and write a more engaged response after I digest these great insights. Thread wire? gonna read up tonight!

I've got several old face plates laying around the shop, and no lathe old enough to use them on. what it your lathe swing? I'll see what I have. also I've made custom plates before, if I don't have one, I can quote you a price on a custom build.

What TGTool said. You can "bootstrap" the whole shebang right on your lathe.

- Got the spindle-BORE taper cleaned up?

- How about the TS?

- Got centers?

- One of those nuts John mentioned and a bit of ingenuity - or even just a couple of stout stainless hose clamps - and you can drive a dog. Or something that serves as one.

Start with making a mandrel. Then another.

Engage "necessity is the Mother of Invention" area of Mark One human brain.

You didn't think the first-ever lathe and its tooling were shat from the arse of a big ass dinosaurian didja?

Not until Niles Tool Works got going they were not!

:)

Last edited:
Thread wire? gonna read up tonight!

So - any digesting on thread wires so far? Several over wires dimension along length of thread will put you way ahead as far as dispensing useful info either to yourself or some remote party

Here is a little scan from the 1952 Van Keuren catalog - it is to be understood that there is a lot of tabulated data (as to wire size ) that goes with this

Over Wires.jpg

Back