What's new
What's new

WTB: Anyone have parts for a 15" Clausing / Colchester lathe?

PWP

Hot Rolled
Had an OH Shit moment earlier today. After years of moving machinery. I had a hillman skate get away from my lathe and the damn thing fell on it's face. This all happened in the process of getting the lathe to end of the dock to lift off and get into my truck. Thank God no one was hurt. Got it back up and Checked the damage. Here are some of the items I need. Both large round spindle speed selector knobs and a hand wheel for the saddle. The rest is fairly minor and can be sourced on line. Not sure what the year it is. I would guess mid to late 70's. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 84
Had an OH Shit moment earlier today. After years of moving machinery. I had a hillman skate get away from my lathe and the damn thing fell on it's face. This all happened in the process of getting the lathe to end of the dock to lift off and get into my truck. Thank God no one was hurt. Got it back up and Checked the damage. Here are some of the items I need. Both large round spindle speed selector knobs and a hand wheel for the saddle. The rest is fairly minor and can be sourced on line. Not sure what the year it is. I would guess mid to late 70's. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure

I hate hillmans. The only way I use mine is to link 2 of them together on one end of your machine and use a single one at the other end. I never use all 4 at once. I use a piece of conveyor belt between each one and the load. I swear one day I am going to build some proper skates.

This was my first time using the hillmans.I have to agree with you. The best we could come up with was cardboard between the lathe and the skates. Problem was uneven floor.

This was my first time using the hillmans.I have to agree with you. The best we could come up with was cardboard between the lathe and the skates. Problem was uneven floor.

Call me anal, but I always BOLT my Northern El Cheapos to the load when I can, even if sloppily, ELSE BOLT them to 4 by 6, or 4 by 8, or 6 by 6 timber then BOLT the load to those - a PAIR of toe-jacks easily as essential as the skates.

ALL floors that ain't surface-plates are uneven enough to unload a machinery skate! As little as twenny to forty thou and thin rubber matting is unloaded. "Cardboard" doesn't much spring BACK to close a gap. "As was just demonstrated", and not for the first time.

Even tire-cord mat or conveyor belting has silly-small range. And out from under she goes.

DAMHILT-the-f*****g-hard-way, but I'm not one to need more than one of that sort of "extreme pucker factor" training session!

Pin 'em, bolt em, even doggie-chain, slack tie-wrap, marline, or duct-tape 'em so they are at least CLOSE to where they were meant to be when the load comes back onto them. AND NOT maliciously rollt "40 paces right flank rear", and far less immediate use than Gunga Din's legendary goatskin water bag.

Still looking. Can someone with a 15 lathe (this model) give the diameter of the carriage hand wheel ? The machine is an hour away from me and I might be able to source a workable part.

7 1/2" Od.

"Human sizing" comparison if the OP is planning to adapt a "generic" handwheel from the handwheel-monger tribes:

10EE 8" OD, 3 1/2" dropped center.

HBX-360, 7 3/4", 1 1/2" dropped center (it's on a pylon, doesn't have to "reach" clear to the main apron wall).

Center-drop on the OEM one for the OP's lathe would help get him a third-party one as doesn't create a pinch-area with other controls?

Bought an 8" on Ebay will need to increase bore size and roller handle with a metal revolving metal one.
29.00 shipped and brand new. Two spokes and real similar to Clausings. I will have to set her up on MY 10EE and machine to fit the Colchester. Also, plenty of Center drop thermite.

Back