What's new
What's new

WTB B&S #9 taper 1" Arbor for Burke #4 Mill

ng19delta

Aluminum
Hi- I'm looking for a proper 1" dia arbor with B&S #9 taper for my Burke #4 milling machine. Should have (qty.)1:2" spacer,(qty.) 2: 1" spacers & (qty.)2: 1/2" spacer and the arbor nut.

Old PN's were B-102-C, M-226, M-227, M-228 & M-200, respectively

Please PM or e-mail me with prices, if available-
Thanks!
Scottmill.jpg

Hey I have a old bs#9 zz collet holder in good condition with a collet still in it but it’s out of my index mill.

If your interested in it lmk

These are not hard to make, plans as follows:

View attachment 320695

Thanks- Now I get to put the lathe to work! (one of my happy things!)
Have to print out the plans at work Monday. Looks like Outside dia(other than the collar)is 1", and I am pretty sure I have some 1" stock close at hand- but I'd have to figure a collar. Or use the excuse to visit the metal shop... :)

Scott

PS- Do you happen to have a black & white or blueprint copy? Sadly, I am having a bit of trouble with the colors, and when I try to zoom in, it gets too blurry... Thanks!

Thanks- Now I get to put the lathe to work! (one of my happy things!)
Have to print out the plans at work Monday. Looks like Outside dia(other than the collar)is 1", and I am pretty sure I have some 1" stock close at hand- but I'd have to figure a collar. Or use the excuse to visit the metal shop... :)

Scott

PS- Do you happen to have a black & white or blueprint copy? Sadly, I am having a bit of trouble with the colors, and when I try to zoom in, it gets too blurry... Thanks!

I'll send you a PM with more info

Hi, Thanks- Not sure if it would be usable for the mill (still learning! lol)but let me know what you might want for it...

Thanks,
Scott

"I got mine" All of the above -collets included - and a lot more.

But the Burke is only one of three #9 B&S here, the much bigger Quartet's vertical head uses it and the tiny Ellis indexer/DH as well.

My advice?

Grab every scrap of #9 B&S as crosses your radar. There's a lot of it still out there, but it is never as handy as a trip to Big Box when you are in need.

You aren't likely to get "stuck' with it, either. Lot of us running it as wouldn't go near an Are-Ate with a latex-bagged-and-buttered-bargepole.

B&S # 9 has right about DOUBLE the grip and power-transfer capacity as Are-Ate.
Most especially in Weldon-style side-lock holders where the # 9 has stiffer support than an Are Ate solid. Collets in a mill are for the Bird's Ports anyway.

B&S #9 just plain kicks an Are-Ate BirdPort's ass so high up between the shoulder blades it can draw government disability.

B&S # 7 is the one comparable to Are-Ate or MT #2.

#9 is a workhorse.

Just do NOT pull-tight into a hot spindle. Might stay there for a long while! VERY long while!

Doesn't LOOK all that diffrent from MT, but MT's taper was chosen to reliably eject fron axial loading in a DRILLPRESS, wants to walk right out under milling-cutter side loads and flute impacts, does so unless retention wedge keyed (see hor-bore) or tight drawbar-ed.

B&S taper was chosen to near-as-dammit self-lock and resist milling side loads, even with not a lot of drawbar help. Has done exactly that and rather well, since the 1800's.

Machine taper - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Back