What's new
What's new

WTB Brown & Sharpe Universal Dividing Head

99Panhard

Stainless
It doesn't have to be complete. I have a set of change gears and extra dividing plates. A footstock would be nice but I can work around that too. The gears I have came from a #2 light and I don't know if the different machines (I have a #2 Heavy) used different gears...I rather doubt it but I'm prepared to make any modifications I have to.

Joe Puleo
[email protected]

I'm in Rhode Island

I believe I need the 10" trunion style. At least that is what the catalog calls it. This is my machine, the 2A...from the 1939 B&S Catalog.

View attachment 298471

I do notice that there is a threaded hole in the table on the left end that does not show in this illustration so it's possible that it uses the other style...I don't really appreciate the difference and I'm not sure what year my machine was built. It has an NMTB spindle so it must be after 1934(?) but could be older than 1939.

Thanks John. Apparently they went into production as soon as the patent application was filed. That's something I hadn't thought of but the application was filed in 1927 even though the patent wasn't actually issued until 1931.

Do you have any idea if the new clones are any good? The asking prices for originals around here, in the short time I've been looking, are about 80% of the price of the new copies... Of course I'd much rather have the old one but when it's 80% of the price and it's missing the gear train and two of the dividing plates I've my reservations. I think I should just be patient.

Had one of the clones, sold it to member Ries long ago. Seemed entirely functional if not as "nicely made" as B&S. Since I had no B&S mill to try it on at the time, I can only suppose the DRIVE pieces provided were only generic - certainly not B&S dedicated

Here is all I can remember doing with it - milling a "clutch" for the Ohio shaper cross feed handle I built

DCP_0634.JPGDCP_0634A.JPG

Thanks John. Apparently they went into production as soon as the patent application was filed. That's something I hadn't thought of but the application was filed in 1927 even though the patent wasn't actually issued until 1931.

Do you have any idea if the new clones are any good? The asking prices for originals around here, in the short time I've been looking, are about 80% of the price of the new copies... Of course I'd much rather have the old one but when it's 80% of the price and it's missing the gear train and two of the dividing plates I've my reservations. I think I should just be patient.

I found one...old, dirty and gummed up. I paid a little too much but it was close enough to go and pick it up which for a piece like this is important. Since I have the gears, I can make the pieces that are missing. Does anyone have an idea where I can find a B&S 10 to 9 sleeve so I can use my #9 collets in it? I could probably make one of those too but it would be nice to get one that was ground.

I was under the impression that the #2 Heavy needed the dividing head that had the base that fully enveloped the mechanism, rather than the dovetailed half circle one that most copies are based on.

Though if the gears you had came off a #2 light, I suppose they would be correct for the smaller dovetailed head. I guess if the #2 light drive gear fits on the #2 Heavy table screw, it doesn’t really matter :scratchchin:

Be super thin Joe - like .091" wall thickness

I hadn't thought of that...I'll try it in any case. When I went through my reamer draw I found I have both 9 and 10 B&S reamers, both new. I'd forgotten I had them. They came from the grinding shop where I bought my surface grinder. hey were going out of business, the owner's son was selling the stuff and everything was $10...

I was under the impression that the #2 Heavy needed the dividing head that had the base that fully enveloped the mechanism, rather than the dovetailed half circle one that most copies are based on.

Though if the gears you had came off a #2 light, I suppose they would be correct for the smaller dovetailed head. I guess if the #2 light drive gear fits on the #2 Heavy table screw, it doesn’t really matter :scratchchin:

Oddly enough I was reading the B&S "Practical Treatise on Gearing" last night and it mentioned both types of dividing head, not as one being for the heavy machine and another for the light machine but as "medium duty" and "heavy duty"...the implication being that either will work on either machine. Chances are they supplied the heavy duty one with the heavy machine though. In any case, we'll know soon enough if it works.

Brown & Sharpe referred to the dovetail style dividing head as Quadrant type, and the fully enveloped as Trunion type.

Back