What's new
What's new

WTB: Cast iron rectangular bar

Chris Attebery

Cast Iron
I’m looking for a block of cast iron to make a solid tool post riser. My finished dimensions are 4.5” x 2.625” x 6”.

If you have something in that range please PM me.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Ken. I looked under Raw Materials and it isn't listed. If you do a search for Cast Iron it comes up though. They have 2.625" x 6" bars by the foot. I was hoping to find something a bit closer to what I need. I sent an RFQ to DuraBar and Versa Bar to see if they would be any cheaper.

I've found that some times you can save some money if you start out with a round bar. In your case 5 1/4 or 5 1/2 to make 2 5/8 x 4 1/2.

It was my impression that Durabar didn't sell anything shorter than six foot sticks, with their regional distros acting as service centers to cut it down. If that's not the case, please update this thread with what you learn, Chris.

Though a bit in a blur while the 36" Ohio does its thing, the clapper box (holding the yellow clapper which the tool post is mounted on) I made 16 years ago from a burned out chunk of 3" ASTM A516-70 plate, which despite the fancy name, is just mild steel plate

That is if it doesn't HAVE TO BE cast iron

Dcp_0856.jpg

Last time I needed a biggish chunk of metal for a riser, I sawed off a piece of a big block of tool steel that I got cheap on ebay. In other words, using stuff you have is cheaper than buying Durabar. And, not that it matters in this case, but any steel is more rigid than cast iron.

Larry

I haven't heard back from either cast iron company yet. I'm also looking at getting a chunk of A36 or something similar if I can find it locally.

Thanks for the replies,

Chris

Agreed with others, this doesn't need to be cast iron. If you're price conscious just use whatever drop you can find.

If you want a specific dimension, try Nowell Steel in Antioch Nowell Steel . I've purchased low-quantity (1-3x) flame cut A36 steel in 3" and 4" thicknesses from them. Easy to work with and very reasonable prices. I don't know about Gilroy but they've delivered to the inner bay area. Make sure you leave ample stock for cleaning up the flamecut surfaces.

Or visit Durabar's website and check out their list of regional distributors.
Durabar is wonderfull stuff to machine (aside from the usual cast iron dirtyness...) - no inclusions, chilled spots, etc. Easy to finish to a nice precise dimension and yields a uniform, good finish overall.

I went to South Bay Metals here in Gilroy. They don't stock anything near this size but they have chunks of scrap laying around. I search for about 45 minutes and was about to leave when I found a chunk roughly 7.25 x 2.75 x 6.375" with a hole drilled along the corner on the longest edge. I have no idea what it is, but they gave it to me for $15. It's going to take awhile to whittle it down to a usable size.

I went to South Bay Metals here in Gilroy. They don't stock anything near this size but they have chunks of scrap laying around. I search for about 45 minutes and was about to leave when I found a chunk roughly 7.25 x 2.75 x 6.375" with a hole drilled along the corner on the longest edge. I have no idea what it is, but they gave it to me for $15. It's going to take awhile to whittle it down to a usable size.

I'll be pleased when I have enough space to get 980 lbs of similar goods off the doubled pallet.

Bit larger. 8" x 5". Holes are spaced along the back. Last known "Day Job" it was employed in was serving as the replaceable rectangular bedways for a G&L Horizontal boring mill.

Your "treasure" may have had a similar job on something a tad smaller? If so, it should be top quality material.

Back