What's new
What's new

WTB-Champion Forge 20" Camelback backgears

Likely a way faster way to get it going (than waiting around to "find" something) is to find out what you have in the way of Diametral Pitch, and then buy or make or have made what is needed.

Finding out is simple

Get a good clean mic OD and count number of teeth (this of course can be done to any gear missing less than half its teeth)

Add two to tooth count, and divide by that mic OD

Example:

32 teeth, 2.125" OD

34 divided by 2.125 = 16 Diametral Pitch or "DP"

When I was looking for back gears for my 20" Royersford, someone here suggested that I calculate the lowest speed I had with the flat belt pulleys and see if I really needed them.

I did and made a chart, which of course is not handy now, but IIRC the lowest speed without back gears was under 200 RPM with a 1725 motor and a reasonable motor pulley size.

What's the math on yours?

Sea Farmer makes a good point. These drill were designed for carbon steel drills and they really crawl. The later electric Royersford drills shipped with a 1750 RPM motor with a 5-to-1 reduction on the v-belts putting the lower cone at 350 RPM. Speeds were 452, 270, 162, and 98 RPM in direct drive or 82, 48, 29, and 17 RPM in back gear.

Back