What's new
What's new

WTB: Cincinnati tail stock and original steady for 14" cincinnati dividing head.

JP_Innovations

Plastic
Hi,

I recently aquired a Cincinnati 14" dividing head. I am looking for the matching Cincinnati tail stock to suite and also the genuine Cincinnati steady.

Regards.
Josh

The story on these is often a sad one due to steadily progressing ignorance of owners/potential owners

The original owner was some well heeled outfit with damn-better-be-knowledgeable employees

They bought the new Universal Mill that the DH and all its accessories including drive and its big impressive box of change gears came with - and they knew EXACTLY what it would do, like helical milling

The next owners likely had very little idea of what all that stuff was for, and just took the big lump that they had a vague idea that it may do things like indexing - helical milling with exact lead lengths simply wasn't something they had heard of

That in a few words is how the pieces end up in the scrap yards of the planet

The story on these is often a sad one due to steadily progressing ignorance of owners/potential owners

The original owner was some well heeled outfit with damn-better-be-knowledgeable employees

They bought the new Universal Mill that the DH and all its accessories including drive and its big impressive box of change gears came with - and they knew EXACTLY what it would do, like helical milling

The next owners likely had very little idea of what all that stuff was for, and just took the big lump that they had a vague idea that it may do things like indexing - helical milling with exact lead lengths simply wasn't something they had heard of

That in a few words is how the pieces end up in the scrap yards of the planet

Exactly right. And same thing when machine merchants get a hold of them, and either don't know what they are getting or decide to sell everything off separately. Also same when shops close down and stuff gets moved to a auction house. And all the attachements are not kept togeather.

Still looking for a genuine 14" steady and tailstock.

I own two TS that have ZERO relationship to your DH. Nor to my (Ellis) DH either.

So "why"?

Because it was easier to make a base plate to adjust the height and allow changing the Tee-slot key offset than to make the entire DH TS from pre-hard scratch or dura-scratch.

There are also adjustable height ones on the market, brand-new. Both slip joint and inclined ramp. Basically made as "universal-donor". This is not a new need.

The steady, I have not seen as an aftermarket part, but it is much easier to fab, anyway.

Wish on the paperwork and 'puter side of the partition. Go fab, or go alter on the Iron and dark oil side.

See which side produces useful goods soonest.

You can ALWAYS peddle the DIY's if/as/when an OEM one finally falls out of the toolcrib of the onboard machine shop of Graf Zeppelin, (18 September, 1928, Sydney) next cruise over Australia.

And that is just about how likely it is.

Back