What's new
What's new

WTB. Collet chuck for a Cincinnati lathe.

Temo

Plastic
Hi to all,

I bought a Cincinnati Milacron Hawk 150 lathe and I'm looking for a Collet Chuck that will fit the machine.

It doesn't have to be new, it doesn't have to be the original.

Thanks.

Hi to all,

I bought a Cincinnati Milacron Hawk 150 lathe and I'm looking for a Collet Chuck that will fit the machine.

It doesn't have to be new, it doesn't have to be the original.

Thanks.

But it does have to fit the lathe spindle. So what type and size is the spindle?

Larry

It says A5 for the type. For the spindle size you mean what exactly?

"A5" is "exact" enough, all by itself:

https://www.prattburnerd.com/pdf files/Amer Std Spindle Nose Data.pdf

And that determines your mounting plate.

Next, you need to decide if the power actuator is to use a drawtube, economical, but taking up some space in the bore, or a front mount, which costs more, but does not take any bore space, and if you need a bar feeder as well.

Your collet closer mounts according to which.

And there are "several" candidates for collet systems, dead-length included.

Budget, and the nature of your expected work guides your choice for "all of the above".

Especially if you already have powered workholding integrated, and it has a known set of choices.

As-in "RTFM" and go with "the usual suspects" they ran with?

ELSE?

"I'm looking for a woman that will fit my life. She doesn't have to be new."

... might be classed as equally vague?

Research more. Guess less.

:D

This activity generally precedes laying out money - like for a "lathe"

Like a nice but rather antique-ish Hardinge Sjogren made for A5 may fit and function (after removal of such hindrances as draw tube for chuck) - but manually of course. Seems unlikely this would be a choice for such a "lathe". Not to mention collets are fairly dear to BUY.

This activity generally precedes laying out money - like for a "lathe"

Like a nice but rather antique-ish Hardinge Sjogren made for A5 may fit and function (after removal of such hindrances as draw tube for chuck) - but manually of course. Seems unlikely this would be a choice for such a "lathe". Not to mention collets are fairly dear to BUY.

Sjogren, with a belly full of planetary gears in front of an A-series face-bolt circle - is one where I would expect an A5 plate must be face-bolted first, then the OTHER large-diameter plate the Sjogren has had to be mounted to BACK bolted clear out at the rim.

And now the CNC cycle stops for a human operator to head into the cabinet to lay-hands on the rim of the Sjogren?

Well? Why are we not surprised? "Manual" means exactly what it says it means.

A-series mount expects VERY infrequent workholder changes and/or/else a multi-system capable platform to be mounted .....once in a great while....

CNC expects power-operated workholding.

That still leaves "many" collet systems.

If cost is no object? Ortlieb's "Quadro" is nice-looking.

QUADRO(R) Dead Length Collet Chucks

Or maybe a new truck instead?

I see no A5 on the charts. There are A1-5 and A2-5. A1 and A2 are types and 5 is a size.

Lathe Spindle Nose Mounting Identification Chart

Larry

No need. Cincinnati Milacron shipped the Hawk 150 lathe with an A2-5 spindle nose.

Ain't the internet a neat resource if one can but highlight a section of text, click right pointer button, select: "search .....for..."

Same cheap-ass cheat finds them for sale with Hainbusch collet system, S26 collet system, and a neat tutorial with lots of choices:

https://www.hardinge.com/wp-content/uploads/2352D_ColletAdaptationChuck.pdf

No Sjogren handwheel. But you can have 2J ... if you WANT it.

:)

Read more. Spend less.

I notice that I have to learn this stuff really fast; I decided to stop being a machinist after 25 yrs and start to be a "salesman of my work" (aka Shop Owner), thanks for the pointers there.

The spindle is 50 mm, I'm going for a front mount (also called a front nose?)

No bar feeder.

Now I understand that I'm not limited to one brand.

Thanks.

The spindle is 50 mm, I'm going for a front mount (also called a front nose?)....Now I understand that I'm not limited to one brand.

Noo, but... something compatible with whatever already operates your power chuck could save SOME coin - or a least reduce change-over time?

And "no bar feeder" integrated into a cycle?

Means you are still limited to manual advance or swap of precuts / 2d OP work and cycle-pause for a manual change, one part at a time?

Tough row to hoe when so many others are better armed for it?

A(ny) organization or entity as does not plan for its own beneficial future?
Will not HAVE one.

MAKE time to read and research. Others already have done.

Now you need to play leapfrog, not repeat ALL the intervening steps .. the hard way, and decades late getting into the game.

"DAMHIKT"

I just saw this device mentioned in a different post on PM. It converts a 3-jaw power chuck, as are often used on CNC lathes, to hold standard 5C collets. The normal power chuck operator opens and closes the collet. Pretty slick, but expensive. Maybe the idea could be copied and made to work with 2J or other larger collets if larger bar capacity is required and the power chuck is big enough..

Nub Tools Master Jaw System, 6" Chuck Size for 5C Collets - 4720646-5C - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Larry

I just saw this device mentioned in a different post on PM. It converts a 3-jaw power chuck, as are often used on CNC lathes, to hold standard 5C collets. The normal power chuck operator opens and closes the collet. Pretty slick, but expensive. Maybe the idea could be copied and made to work with 2J or other larger collets if larger bar capacity is required and the power chuck is big enough..

Nub Tools Master Jaw System, 6" Chuck Size for 5C Collets - 4720646-5C - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Larry

The "usual suspects" have a whole range of such gadgets, and have had for ages. Some are dirt-simple:

Vicon Precision Universal Collet 2J to 5C Adapter - 7249-2J - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Dunham - a division of Lisle - even seems to have specialized in it as a market "niche"?

A2-5 | Dunham Tool Company

Mind . these make economic sense for balls-to-the-walls CNC high throughput, earn - or LOSE - half a cent per each part, make it up in VOLUME and the recovery off the chip-dumpster scrap-metal recovery payment!

:(

And then you have the "high priced spread" at around twenty-THOUSAND-mike-foxtrot-yew-ass-dollars per-each spindle?

Well... some of those CNC spindles can crank upwards of twenty thousand RPM, too!
You do NOT install a "DIY shrapnel kit" on the nose of those puppies, do yah?

ISTR BIG-Kaiser pumping a sub-spindle with EIGHTY thousand RPM capability? Mere forty-thou RPM ones are old stuff... and by easily a quarter-century already?

That class of goods - out at the "bleeding edge" so to speak - are a tad COSTLY to justify for hobby, onesie, other "smallholder" even "revenue" earn-my-basic-crust use ... where the value of the goods has less to do with "how many per hour?" and "what mass of chips does it leave?"

Horses for courses, merkins for gherkins, and tooling?

For fool, common man, or genius alike!

Nobody cares.

Just work smarter!

2CW

Tough row to hoe when so many others are better armed for it?

A(ny) organization or entity as does not plan for its own beneficial future?
Will not HAVE one.

MAKE time to read and research. Others already have done.

I know what you mean, but this is were am at right now, I'll get there.

Thanks for the feedback, this thread also have been informative.

Larry

Expensive indeed. Thanks for the input.

Expensive indeed. Thanks for the input.

Uhh.. "it's all relative".

Priced the Samchully it is meant to use as "Mothership" have you?

For he who already HAS the coin invested in the Samchully, it could look a right bargain?

Among other things, no need to pull the chuck and put it back to run a mix of jobs when quick change-over saves time = MONEY!

And yes.. that concept is built for a LOT of collet systems, some of them huge.

Comes to CNC? It isn't really a '5C' world.. nor even close-to.

A decent "dead length" collet system can add seriously good value, for example.

Back