What's new
What's new

WTB Combo Pipe Vise and Swivel Base

dylanmitchell

Plastic
Looking for a Combo Pipe Vise and Swivel Base in 3 1/2, 4, or 4 1/2 and open to standard swivel base vises with no pipe combo. Looking for something like a Milwaukee tool 35/40/45 or 335/345 with swivel jaw allowing irregular or tapered work or something like a Wilton 450s the Wilton 21300. Open to quality brands in good shape regardless of age just want something solid and workable.

Have small home shop and work bench and want a vise for cutting and shaping parts and pipe work. A good vise without a pipe vise or anvil is fine too I can get something seperate for pipe work and a small anvil.

Limiting search ships from United State or locally in San Diego CA, Orange County or Los Angeles. Not to many vise finds here (or I'm not looking the the right places) so I'm hoping folks in Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Toledo, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh or other industrial centers have something for me.

Thanks!

Cool art deco design. Is there a date code stamped on the bottom of the moving jaw, seen when you take the jaw all the way out? I am guessing 1940's.

Jaw width and max opening?

Larry

Looking for a Combo Pipe Vise and Swivel Base in 3 1/2, 4, or 4 1/2 and open to standard swivel base vises with no pipe combo. Looking for something like a Milwaukee tool 35/40/45 or 335/345 with swivel jaw allowing irregular or tapered work or something like a Wilton 450s the Wilton 21300. Open to quality brands in good shape regardless of age just want something solid and workable.

Have small home shop and work bench and want a vise for cutting and shaping parts and pipe work. A good vise without a pipe vise or anvil is fine too I can get something seperate for pipe work and a small anvil.

Limiting search ships from United State or locally in San Diego CA, Orange County or Los Angeles. Not to many vise finds here (or I'm not looking the the right places) so I'm hoping folks in Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Toledo, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh or other industrial centers have something for me.

Thanks!

I'm FROM Pittsburgh. What you seek is Harry Homeowner / farmer / plumber/ auto-mechanic/ lawnmower repairman size and type of goods. Sears, Monkey Wards, any decent hardware store, last 150 years, whole length and breadth of the Americas.

Not "industrial" atall. You'd need a hoist to lift those.

Daughty's Wilton is a more practical vise than their famous "bullet" models for lots of stuff.

I have a "Litteforge", sort of a poor-man's Rock Island for the ordinary mini-beater use.
OTOH, I own far more vises than decent shirts or trews - they each find some sort of use.

So - lay an eyeball on yard sales and flea markets. None are perfect. Most "can work", and you can always look for better ones, later.

The thing with apparent scarcity of vises - which are "out there" - is that small, "ordinary" ones - anything under 6 or 8 inches - aren't worth the bother of putting on ebay or Craigslist because dealing with the inquiries takes up more time than they are worth.

Big, heavy, "classical" ones allegedly no longer made (some actually ARE, still yet) seem to inspire inflated values.

One of my largest is actually Taiwanese - made about 25-30 years before Harbor Freight became a factor. Not a lot wrong with it or I'd not still HAVE it.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Ya might look at Craigslist
Here is the first example I noticed...
Vintage Bench Vise - tools - by owner - sale

Thanks for the responses. I am looking for homeowner diy jack of all trades master of none plus/ minus 4 inch vise vs huge like one attached. Makes sense vises that sell for a couple hundred won't be online and local vs fleabay can be better for heavy items. Vises and other art deco items are being used as decorations in restaurants, shops and homes, so they are a little more scarce but still around.

Daughty thanks for the message above. PM'd you.

I kind of like the Yost Vises 750-DI 5" not sure how it's quality is but should hold up to light use. Local CL has some options too:

Nice refurbed Parker been on CL for a while is price in line for this Vise?
VTG Heavy-Duty Bench Vise with 36-Degree Swivel Base and Head - tools - by owner - sale

Anyone know what vise this is?
VTG Heavy-Duty Bench Vise with 36-Degree Swivel Base and Head - tools - by owner - sale

Spring Valley listing may be a vise reseller they have lots of postings
Shop Vise Reed 26R - tools - by owner - sale

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 82
A little bigger than this one though

wilton-001.jpg

A little bigger than this one though

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 68
I have to say that I've had more than my share of inferior quality vises and now would only consider a brand that has stood the test of time. Those inferior quality were suitable nut crackers but not good for any real work, either poorly designed or poor quality iron. I have a work bench with a 1 1/4" thick solid steel top and won't drill and tap anymore 1/2"-13 TPI holes in it for anything less than something I'm pretty sure of, just too much work for a long shot. Some good brands the come to mind are Rock Island, Reed, Yost, Wilton, as long as it's from their industrial line and not their tradesman series and a few others that I'll remember later.
Dan

I'm FROM Pittsburgh. What you seek is Harry Homeowner / farmer / plumber/ auto-mechanic/ lawnmower repairman size and type of goods. Sears, Monkey Wards, any decent hardware store, last 150 years, whole length and breadth of the Americas.

Not "industrial" atall. You'd need a hoist to lift those.

Daughty's Wilton is a more practical vise than their famous "bullet" models for lots of stuff.

I have a "Litteforge", sort of a poor-man's Rock Island for the ordinary mini-beater use.
OTOH, I own far more vises than decent shirts or trews - they each find some sort of use.

So - lay an eyeball on yard sales and flea markets. None are perfect. Most "can work", and you can always look for better ones, later.

The thing with apparent scarcity of vises - which are "out there" - is that small, "ordinary" ones - anything under 6 or 8 inches - aren't worth the bother of putting on ebay or Craigslist because dealing with the inquiries takes up more time than they are worth.

Big, heavy, "classical" ones allegedly no longer made (some actually ARE, still yet) seem to inspire inflated values.

One of my largest is actually Taiwanese - made about 25-30 years before Harbor Freight became a factor. Not a lot wrong with it or I'd not still HAVE it.
....and not a single REED vise....

I hate you....:)

....and not a single REED vise....

I hate you....:)

Lot of Eyetalian craftsmen In Pizzabourgh Dougie. Learnt my brickishness, cut-stone masonry and porcelain tile skills from a couple of 'em.

Soooo... I have FIVE six-inch Gerardi Modulars..

also a James Morton Phase II wierdness-gripper, a stout "front pull" one of our own PM members used to make.. and even a ball-socket "panavise" I've put longer arms onto.

Hate? Or is it ENVY, now?

:D

Not having a Kurt? Must be lack of SPACE more than poverty is all...

OH.. I do have right nice water-service goods from "Reed".

Plumbing anything from a bird-bath to potable water for an Infantry Division or an occupied town was on the curriculum.

Little village called "Frankfurt am Main" got its water, power and sewer systems put back on line when Dad was done breaching the "West Wall" and reassigned on orders as City Engineer of it. And Provost Marshall, of course. It was that time in that century.

There are lots of good vises in the SoCal area. But great deals sell fast so always need to be looking if lowest possible price is a requirement.

The GarageJournal has somewhat changed the used vise market with their 66,000 post vise thread that Google like to point to. The have raised awareness of quality older vintage. But they have also raised the price on average due to increased value information, newly found vise collectors and flippers. Now some of the people who created the content on the thread complain how prices have gone up.

Personally, I find the swivel jaw a neat concept but not used very much. This is based on personal experience and the number of swivel jaw vises with locking pins rusted in place I have seen.

If you have the space, I would recommend a quality 3-4" vise and a separate pipe vise. Pipe vises do not have the collector cult (yet) and tend to sell for pretty cheap. Last one I sold took forever at $15.

Here is a good Starrett 3.5" swivel base vise for $75.
VINTAGE ATHOL (STARRETT) SWIVEL VISE USA MADE - tools - by owner - sale

a separate pipe vise.

Amen! A pipe vise.. odd as it may seem.. actually HOLDS pipe!

Really. It just DOES!

Mess with those silly built-ins, fixed or floating add-ons?

A body could be forgiven for believing that wasn't even possible.

Their most predictable outcome is to mess up a pipe so it gets cut on a bias, dented, and ain't even round any longer!

I suspect they DOO that to insure there is a steady supply of crapscrap to make more shitevises out of?

WTH is THAT? Ferrous incest?

:(

Amen! A pipe vise.. odd as it may seem.. actually HOLDS pipe!

Really. It just DOES!

:(

Naw.....You just set the 36" pipe wrench to the pipe size and stand on it in the dirt.

Works great.....:)

Don't need no steenkeen vice/vise

Back