What's new
What's new

Wtb: Compund swivel scew/bolt

ottoparts

Plastic
As I am cleaning/fixing my new to me SB 9" Jr, I have found that I am missing one of the compounds swivel base screw/bolt. I need one like what's in the picture.
Thanks

20190205_185406_resized.jpg

It is called a square head set screw. Given the proper name, now you should be able to find them online. Of course, you need to specify the thread and length and point style.

There should be a pin with an angled end that goes in the hole and bears against the tapered center pin. The taper might be a milled cone to match the conical post under the compound. It prevents marring the post taper and also pulls the compound down tight against the cross slide. I have a 1935 SB 9" "Workshop" sales catalog that shows the square head screws in the cross slide, but other SB 9" lathes locked the compound with a better and more expensive design using a circular T-slot with two T-bolts and nuts.

In the 1947 parts list, the pins are called "Shoes, Base to Swivel Casting" and the part number was 211.

In later SB 9" lathes, the shoes are still used, but they used socket head set screws.

Larry

Normally, a set screw of the correct length would be installed so it wouldn't protrude and be in the way. And in front of that set screw would be a round bronze wedge, engaging the dovetail on the underside of that compound to keep it from rotating. That square head bolt is somebodies "kluge fix" for the proper set screw that has gone missing.

I originally thought that square head bolt was a kluge replacement for a missing hex set screw. But looking at various pictures on the internet that seems to be OEM on the earlier 9 inchers. My 10L has hex set screws that do not protrude. If you are looking to replace those, you might consider a hex set screw rather than a square head bolt. As Larry stated above, they were fitted to the later 9" lathes.

Back