What's new
What's new

WTB: Doall vertical bandsaw blade and setup gauge

crrmeyer

Stainless
WTB: Doall vertical bandsaw blade guides and setup gauge

I have a 1957 Do-all 16-SFP band saw that I am finishing up its reassembly. Unfortunately I am short on band saw guides and set up gauges. I an looking for:

One guide for 1/2" wide blades or even a full set of four
Four guides for 3/4" wide blades
One setup gauge for 0.035" thick blades

Please email or PM me if you have some you wish to sell.

Thanks

IMG_6867.JPG

Last edited:
Call DoAll they still make and sell them and the gauges are not expensive. You should get a set to handle different thickness blades. The guides are pricey from DoAll, but they are available on eBay quite regularly. Remember a set is 4 each.

I have a 1957 Do-all 16-SFP band saw that I am finishing up its reassembly. Unfortunately I am short on band saw guides and set up gauges. I an looking for:

One guide for 1/2" wide blades or even a full set of four
Four guides for 3/4" wide blades
One setup gauge for 0.035" thick blades

Please email or PM me if you have some you wish to sell.

Thanks

View attachment 317148

I don't know if you are aware of this, the guide holders are specific to the guide width?

One other note on the guide holders, you can use the older holders with a spacer(1/2 IIRC)on the new saws but not the other way around!

Kevin

I don't know if you are aware of this, the guide holders are specific to the guide width?

One other note on the guide holders, you can use the older holders with a spacer(1/2 IIRC)on the new saws but not the other way around!

Kevin

Oh boy, that I did not know. Is my labeling correct on new vs. old style guide holders in the photos? How you determine what size guide holder you have? Is it if the guides mount flush to the casting lips as shown in the attached photo? Both of my holders do not appear to be marked.

I presume the difference in holder sizes is the thickness so the center of the blade is aligned to the center of the crowned band saw wheels?

Thanks!

DO-ALL OLDER STYLE HOLDER 1.jpg

DO-ALL OLDER STYLE HOLDER 2.jpg

DO-ALL OLDER STYLE HOLDER 3.jpg

DO-ALL NEW STYLE HOLDER.JPG

DO-ALL OLDER STYLE HOLDER GUIDE FIT.jpg

Oh boy, that I did not know. Is my labeling correct on new vs. old style guide holders in the photos? How you determine what size guide holder you have? Is it if the guides mount flush to the casting lips as shown in the attached photo? Both of my holders do not appear to be marked.

I presume the difference in holder sizes is the thickness so the center of the blade is aligned to the center of the crowned band saw wheels?

Thanks!

View attachment 317196

Yes

View attachment 317197

Looks like it, need to see the side view?

View attachment 317198

Same as above.....

View attachment 317199

The one on the left is the newer style.

View attachment 317200

No, one set of blocks will accept 1/8 thru 1/2 guides, the next size up will accept 5/8 to 3/4 and the last one will take the 1” guides!

The guides are typically a little above the casting.....

DoAll also made roller guides!

Also, some of the guide blocks had sizes cast into them.

I hope that helps!

Kevin

No, one set of blocks will accept 1/8 thru 1/2 guides, the next size up will accept 5/8 to 3/4 and the last one will take the 1” guides!

The guides are typically a little above the casting.....

DoAll also made roller guides!

Also, some of the guide blocks had sizes cast into them.

I hope that helps!

Kevin

Thanks for the information. So looking at the 1963 parts catalog, both of my guide blocks pairs look to be the 1/8" to 1/2" type. I am a bit curious what the pipe elbow in the top guide block is for. Lubrication?

So the only guide I need is one 1/2" guide since I have the other three. Or I would be happy to buy a set of four.

If anyone had one or a set for sale, please let me know. Otherwise it is time to talk to Do-All.

do-all upper guide type.JPG

Thanks for the information. So looking at the 1963 parts catalog, both of my guide blocks pairs look to be the 1/8" to 1/2" type. I am a bit curious what the pipe elbow in the top guide block is for. Lubrication?

Yes.

So the only guide I need is one 1/2" guide since I have the other three. Or I would be happy to buy a set of four.

If anyone had one or a set for sale, please let me know. Otherwise it is time to talk to Do-All.

View attachment 317217

There’s a lot more guide block configurations than I mentioned, just look in some of the parts manuals from DoAll!

I think this is the right part number for the guide kit and setup gauges, you will have to call DoAll?

DoALL Part 4141 | Saw guide inserts DoALL Sawing

One more item to note, don’t throw the inserts away, they can be ground back into shape using a simple fixture or v-block holding the insert at 45°!

Kevin

It is easy to see if you have the correct guide block for the blade width you are trying to use. Once the blade is correctly tracking on the wheels, simply measure the gap between the block mount and the blade back edge. The measurement should match the guide block you have. I have a shim that spaces my guide block forward for use with narrow blades. What is also important is the value of using the carbide thrust button over the HSS ones. The carbide faced buttons are expensive, but worth it.

Back