What's new
What's new

WTB flat cast iron piece

metalmagpie

Titanium
I need to make a cast iron flat plate that finishes out at 8x9-1/2" of 0.375-0.5" thickness. Don't want to pay McMaster's price. If you have one that will fit in a flat rate box, please let me know.

metalmagpie

I actually may have something that would work. I remember saving a cast iron cover from a machine that was just a flat plate about .5" thick. I will be messin around in the shop all day, I will take a look and get back to you. I'm not too far away.

I have a piece about 13"x32", about .410" thick. It was a cover underneath a large planer so its covered in caked on grease but it will fit in my bandsaw, I could cut you off a piece and clean it up if it would work for you. It's about 150 years old and seems to be pretty flat when I hold a straight edge up to it. 20210722_135712.jpg20210722_135753.jpg 20210722_135727.jpg

I need to make a cast iron flat plate that finishes out at 8x9-1/2" of 0.375-0.5" thickness. Don't want to pay McMaster's price. If you have one that will fit in a flat rate box, please let me know.

metalmagpie
Kinda thin for a lapping plate.

That THIN.. and that small... and a wide thickness range..and rectangular, so not for a "charged" abrasive wheel?

Seriously hard to believe it needs to be "Cast Iron"?
...rather than common slice of ignorant mild steel. Or even shiney-wood if just a cover.

Can you enlighten us as to WHY CI?

Happens I have some 8" wide.

But it is 3" THICK!

You have a stout Horizontal mill, perchance?

It's already known to be kinda hard on bandsaw blades.. if only because there's a lot of section to cut!

:)

I'm 99.9% sure the plate I have is cast iron just by looking at the break on the corner. It sure as hell ain't alum. Also I have 2 of these and the other one does not have the corner broken off, it has an angle bracket cast into it. That is pretty much the only reason why I snagged it, because you don't often see cast iron in plate like that.

I'm 99.9% sure the plate I have is cast iron just by looking at the break on the corner. It sure as hell ain't alum. Also I have 2 of these and the other one does not have the corner broken off, it has an angle bracket cast into it. That is pretty much the only reason why I snagged it, because you don't often see cast iron in plate like that.

Meahh.. there is .. or WAS.. a foundry in Pennsylvani doing OK for itself off the back of being one of the only sources around for the THIN cast-iron COVER doors for basic stuff.. chimney "sump" clean-out cover doors high on their list.

MOST cast-iron goods, Big Bang onward .. ARE cast Iron because ...it is cheap and easy to.. ta da.. "cast".

And actually not for all that many BETTER reasons.

"Magical" damping properties being oft as much due to the SHAPE, any ribs and curves, and even cast-in cooling stresses .. as much as to any BIG difference between ignorant CI flats w/r rolled steel flats.

"BFD"

Back