What's new
What's new

WTB Gorton Pantograph collets

gi_984

Aluminum
Looking for used but good condition collets for a Gorton P1-2 pantograph. Please message with price and a picture or two.

Hi Larry, I do not recognize that style collet. Does not look like the collets for a P1-2 or P2-3.
Ken, I do have one collet that came with the machine. Where did you buy the reducing sleeves?

Collets for those machines are horribly expensive. New, from Famco - the current owner of Gorton - as I recall they are $300 plus. Hardinge would make them, but also expensive.

You can find them used on eBay, might be 75 or $100 each.

Reducing bushings make a lot of sense. The problem is that your single collet is likely a 5/16 inch , and it is tough to find reducing bushings with that OD. It is not that difficult to make them however, starting with hardened drill bushings. Make sure you get drill bushings that are not counterbored. Slit them with a surface grinder, or even with a Dremel type tool.

I found them on amazon if I remember right though it could have been flea bay . Was amazed at being able to by carbide engraving bits at less than $1 ea free shipping

I have a complete set of collets for a P1-2, in a Gorton collet block. I will only sell them along with the clean P1-2 since the machine is useless without collets. I would like to keep the machine, but need the space. Offers considered.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention I found a few more collets. Total of four plus five of the taper style. Going thru the boxes of fonts and clamps, etc. Got piled together.
Still looking for a few more good condition collets size 1/8 and bigger.

Jim from Florida: Lots of fishing in Florida and if you want to fish here on PM post your own ad. Don't clutter mine.

gi, read again my last post you complained about. I intended the offer for you. Nobody wants the pantograph and I hate to haul it to the scrap yard. I would have sold the pantograph and collets to you for what the collets are worth.

Jim, understood. My apologies if it came off snobbish. I'll send you a personal message shortly.

My machine came with a bunch of accessories. Brought home by the machinist who used it at his employer. Was going in the scrap bin because of the CNC machinery being purchased. Neglected in a corner for years but in great shape. Only got it for some inlay projects for the wife's artwork along with some occasional lettering/numbering jobs.

The collets, like all used tooling, is serviceable but will eventually need replacing. Like most here I could make a few, but it is not worth the time versus buying good used ones.

And I would much rather purchase from my fellow brethren here versus some scrapper/American picker from an online auction website.

So still looking for collets.

Back