What's new
What's new

WTB groove micrometer

SShep71

Hot Rolled
I am looking for a internal groove micrometer, I have been looking for a Mitutoyo 146-132, or a Starrett 260z. I know there are plenty on Ebay, but I was hoping there was someone on here that would be willing to part with one.

I don't have one for sale at this time, it's been a while since I had one, but I'm always looking for items like that. I do have a lot of other tools on my website. at Machinist Tools
Thanks,
Jack Hoying
Fort Loramie, Ohio

I have a Starrett groove mic. I'm assuming it's the same as the one mentioned. It's a nice tool no doubt, but I find them a little fussy in their use. They're not totally direct reading either. My uncertainty always seems to end up a little jaded when using it because of the type of positioning needed. Maybe my problem is I don't use it enough, but again... fussy. Also you're very limited on how far away the groove can be to the edge of the part by the length of the handle, and the fact they can only be used perpendicular and square to the groove.

Personally, when it really matters, I get out the gauge blocks. Simple use a practically no uncertainty. Also refined to the tenth if that's where you need it to be. I don't think I could ever completely trust a tenths measurement with the mic. Not that a person always need it.

I have used gauge blocks in the past to measure groove width before, the issue is that this bore was only .625 in diameter and the groove width had to be 0.188 by .875 diameter it was recessed back into the part 1.125". I could have used a depth gauge from both ends skewing it out of square to catch an edge with the anvil then subtracting to get width, but then I would have to take the part out of the chuck every time and indicate it every time, not to mention (although minimal) the cosine error that I would add by using the tool out of square. For this application (custom hydraulic cylinder) the groove mic would be perfectly fine, it was just a seal bore so there is tolerance.
I originally had hoped to find a Starrett, however I found the Mitutoyo even nicer, longer handle, a little bit larger anvil, more robust feeling to it, and there is a move-able colalr that can be tightened in position to reference a shoulder or otherwise. Also, I know it is sacreligious here, but I am trying to get away from Starrett. Ever since this big "youtube" push to be a machinist, prices are getting out of hand and the sellers are loving it. I get it, nostalgia, and a recognizable name. I think the resurgence is great but in a few years when there is a new "trend" will all these tools show up again or will they disappear into the never-ever-never-venture regions of garages and basements. I really hope not, but time will tell.

Ahhh... a groove in a bore. Wasn't thinking about that. Yes a groove mic is one of the few options there. I have plenty of Starrett, but I have more Mitutoyo and really do like them better. Tend to be a little more robust built. Something about the size, weight and fit that works better for me. Congrats on the Mit.

Back