What's new
What's new

WTB: Hardinge 220V Motor

I'dG84that

Plastic
I'm restoring a Hardinge TL10 lathe that currently has a 440v motor. I'm not interested in using a different drive system but I'm disinclined to get to 440V 3ph in my garage. Does anyone have a 220V 2 speed motor from one of the early Hardinge lathes or mills they'd be willing to part with? I'm located in Kansas City but frequently travel to Arkansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Minnesota.
IMG_2412.jpg

I have sold a couple of those OEM 3/4 and 3/8 HP 2-speed motors taken from Hardinge machines. As I recall, the shipping weight was about 90 pounds, making shipping very expensive. They have an old frame type with 3/4" shaft, so the pulley needs work to fit a modern motor.

I have a 440 V Hardinge TFB-H and was told in 1984 that a new 220 V version of that motor would cost $1000, and rewinding would be about half that. I got a very nice 3 PH 220/440 transformer on eBay for about $150 including shipping. The lathe runs OK off my Snyder phase converter and the transformer. This lathe has complex wiring with three motors and a brake, so the transformer allowed it to run with no internal wiring changes.

Someone said he has used a single phase 220/440 V transformer to feed single phase 440 V into a 440 V VFD to run the high speed windings of a 440 V 2-speed motor. I tried it once and did not get it to work for me.

I have bought brand new 3 PH 220 V motors on eBay for as little as $1 + shipping. I have VFD's rated 1 HP 3 PH at 220 V out and single phase 110 V in that cost less than $100. A VFD makes a 2-speed motor obsolete. So the last Hardinge lathe I rebuilt got a 1 HP motor and a VFD. It is kind of neat to be able to plug it into a standard wall outlet.

Larry

I have a Hardinge mill with a 440 V motor. I made a phase converter with a single phase 220 V to 440 V transformer and a 1-1/2 HP 3 phase motor. This setup has been running the mill for probably 15 years now.

I'dG84that: A few years ago, I bought a Cincinnati Monoset cutter grinder. The 1/4 HP motor was wired for 440V only. I took it to a guy that was doing motor rewinds and had him install a new winding to run on 220V. Cost me $125.00.
Hope this helps.

JH

Back