What's new
What's new

WTB Harig Spindle Nut Wrench 612 Model

majohnson

Cast Iron
The 612 I purchased didn’t come with and of the tools to hold the spindle or remove the spindle nut. I thought it would be nice to have the original tools that would have been included at the time of purchase. If anyone has an extra please contact me.

What the heck is this above mentioned "doohickey" that pops things off the spindle.
How does that work?. Do light SG users really need one?

I leave wheels on their hubs and change the hub and wheel to change wheels. So I need a hub puller. In the pictures, I show a polished hub puller I made decades ago and a black factory-made hub puller that I bought later, but never used.

The large tools are a modern Sopko combination wrench that has pins for the hub and hub nut and a hex socket for the Excello spindle nut and the hub puller screw. The other one is an old Parker Majestic hub and hub nut wrench with the forked end that fits the original spindle nut from my 1929 B&S surface grinder. You need two of the large wrenches to change wheels on the hub.

Larry

DSC01841.jpg DSC01842.jpg

Bob,
I will take you up on the offer. Let me know what I owe you and how you would like payment. Cleaning up the tank side of the base and I came across a new puller still in the plastic. When I ordered a pair of new hubs, I figured a socket would work.

Thanks,
Mark

My best guess the hub has never been off and based on the serial number since 85. Any secrets if it doesn’t what to come off. W

Bob,
I will take you up on the offer. Let me know what I owe you and how you would like payment. Cleaning up the tank side of the base and I came across a new puller still in the plastic. When I ordered a pair of new hubs, I figured a socket would work.

Thanks,
Mark

My best guess the hub has never been off and based on the serial number since 85. Any secrets if it doesn’t what to come off. W

Hammers are BAD...
tighten the bolt on the puller and watch it jump off...

From my experience, It's common for operators to leave the hubs on the machine and change out the wheels alone, BUT the longer a hub stays on a spindle and the more operators tighten/loosen wheels on the spindle, the harder it will be to get the hub off. So I'd recommend getting it free and start getting some extra hubs. If you keep your wheels on individual hubs they will run a lot truer with less dressing, especially if you balance them.

For sure you need a puller, I have the standard Sopko wrench, but I added small flat bar, sticking 90 degrees to the body of the wrench. Because I cannot hold the wrench with a torque bar due to being paralyzed, I just wack the bar on the added piece and it loosens the nut. Pullers are quite easy to make, the thread is 15/16 x 16 thread.

The 612 I purchased didn’t come with and of the tools to hold the spindle or remove the spindle nut. I thought it would be nice to have the original tools that would have been included at the time of purchase. If anyone has an extra please contact me.

For anyone else reading in the future, McMaster-Carr sells these wrenches and pullers which I believe are Sopko. Parts 43745A58 & 43745A51.

Back