What's new
What's new

WTB clousing lathe tailstock

Kpz11

Plastic
WTB clousing lathe tailstock. Found

Found one.

I recently bought a '65 Clousing 5914 36" lathe from my old college. Only problem is it is missing the tailstock. The college is remodeling that building and the instructors think it got thrown out on accident.
SN - 5050,04

Any ideas on where to find one would also be appreciated.

Last edited:
Search eBay ! Strange things show up there. Clausing still may have parts but $$$$$.

The factory parts warehouse, back in the late 1980's, had no castings, but could provide many of the machined parts. I bought a 5914 cross feed screw and returned it because of bad quality. I drove 65 miles to the warehouse and they let me inspect their bin of those screws. All were bad, with rough surface finish on the acme threads. The guy said he thought they were cut with a die head. I later found a feed screw with the same size ground threads and grafted the threaded portion to the old screw. It is better than new.

Some years ago, I got a spare tailstock from someone on Practical Machinist. It needed some repair, but is now the one I use most. Those lathes do get parted out when they stop working, so a tailstock might turn up. Or a turret might turn up. Yes, I am keeping both tailstocks. One has lever feed and one has crank feed.

Larry

Lost Creek Machine in Ottawa, IL sells used tools and might have one for sale. Probably best to email or call - their inventory changes often and their web site might not be up to date.

Back