What's new
What's new

WTB Logan 43" lathe bed 2500 series H

medavido

Plastic
I have a 2535-VLH that is now fully converted to machine lathe from turret. But the front way is badly gouged with long lines from saddle moving back and forth. Must have had no felts and been packed with hard steel chips.

Bought the lathe for $500 and have added at least a couple of thousand in parts from Logan and Ebay and this includes tooling mostly from Ebay. So been watching for a replacement bed for two years with no luck. I see beds that are from all the common lathe types; 200 850 etc, but some do not have the holes for quick change gear box and none have been hardened.

So I emailed Lathe Department of Logan Actuator Co. and the warning I got was all the 10" 11" and 12" bed tops are the same, but mounting setups vary and that I should avoid non-hardened beds and only use a bed from a 2500 series bed. I look at the prices of lathes without hardened beds and I am bewildered. I look at the front V-way's on used beds and how nice a smooth many of those lathes are that were built in 1946. Then I look at the roller coaster of gouges in the front V-way of my 1962 Flame Hardened bed, and I think why not make a 1946 or even a different looking 1961 Logan 1830-2 turret lathe 10" bed fit?

Has anyone gone down this road and have wisdom or maybe warnings to pass along?

Thanks for taking the time to read and if you should have a decent 2500 series Flame Hardened bed to sell to me, I hope you are as exceptionally fair minded as you are an exceedingly rare a fellow.

David

Well you sure went about this project ass backwards ! If the bed is that bad you should have tried to find that part first before dumping money into the easy sourced parts. Worn out beds are probably the number one reason lathes are scraped/parted out followed by ones that have been dropped on their faces. Way I see it you have two choices use what you got until/if you can find a bed or buy another machine and part out what you have. If you do find a bed I suggest quickly buying a lottery ticket or two while your luck holds.

So no thoughts about the potential fun in making a different model lathe bed fit?

I am in Houston Texas and when a Logan 12" 2500 series with an L00 spindle, a two-speed motor {rare item,
but who knew), forward-off-reverse switch, variable speed, from 1962, comes up for sale 200 miles away, you try to be the first caller and say "I absolutely want it", at least when the price is $500. Also had a nice Accu-Trac 8" three jaw chuck.

I still consider myself lucky to have gotten it. I may just buy another 2500 if I have to, but I will not give up. Although lately I have seen logan lathes priced from $5k to $9k. I would take a trip up north to find a better lathe for that kind of money.

Still, I cannot imagine out of all the can-do types on this forum that I am going to be the first to make an old bed fit a 2500 series.

This PM sent me a picture of a lathe bed in California that has been posted for a while. He says he wants $200 plus shipping. So I post I want something, and the shill says here is an email of a guy who has just what you want. Tool con. Be careful out there.

Banned
Country
UNITED STATES
City, State/Province
dallas, Texas
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given)
Likes (Received)
Default Logan 43" lathe bed 2500 series H
I think i saw a guy called Robert posted a Logan 43" lathe bed 2500 series H for sale. Here is his email. [email protected] He's in Missouri..

Back