What's new
What's new

WTB Long nose (extended reach) 1/2" 5c collet

SShep71

Hot Rolled
I am looking for a long nose 1/2" ID 5c collet. I can't seem to find one that will hold a 1/2" endmill. This is the stock photo of the collet type I am looking for. 61Y498GdkyL._SL1288_.jpg

Grinding, I have a 5C closer on my 4th axis for my Fadal. I have a bunch of solid carbide keyseat cutters that need to be ground, the remaining ones are beyond just sharpening on my universal grinder. I wanted to just try to set up the machine and see what I can make happen. I will be changing out the coolant for a different type soon, so I figured I would do it before I did the swap.

we usually make our own on extended hardinges collets(like 40-60 bucks each). bore to size then taper to what you need.
if you dont have a lathe. by the 1/2" dia extended collets and then mill the taper(they are price 175 each)

5C Extended Nose Collet 1/2" Round

Extended nose collets are for the same application as regular 5C collets. The extended nose permits deeper counterbores and tool clearance for extended work. 5C extended nose collets have internal threads for Hardinge positive stops.

Nose is 1-1/2" long. To determine face diameter add 1/4" (6.35mm) to the hole size of the collet.

The above is what you are looking for. $175.00 on Hardinge Site!

Murf

Or you can buy a Hardinge 5C plug chuck for $54, bore it .500" and drill and tap the side for a set screw, thus making a Weldon-style end mill holder. It may not be a catalog item, but I have a 5C plug chuck with a longer nose, so Hardinge can make them.

ShopHardinge - 10150000000000

I use 5C plug chucks to make arbors for the Swiss type JF thin lathe chucks. They can also be made into arbors for mounting saws and grinding wheels.

Larry

Back